Thread: A 220G Reef

ORCA Forum Member

A 220G Reef

My first foray into large scale reefs began last Saturday. Together with a few ORCA members, I moved the contents of my soon-to-be 220G tank into a temporary holding system in my fish room. I'll document the progress here. Here's how my little lagoon looked yesterday

On the left hand side, you can see the Carlson surge device in a Brute trashcan. The black oval on the right hand side is a 110G livestock watering trough. A Mag 12 is handling the circulation.

ORCA Forum Member
    Where did you get the livestock trough? how much?

ORCA Forum Member
    I borrowed the trough from an ORCA member. I believe that it's a TuffTub KMT-100. Looks like you should be able pick one up locally at Tractor Supply in the $50-100 range.

ORCA Forum Member
    Moved the tank and equipment on Saturday. While cleaning the sump, the seam with the return pump's bulkhead split wide open. I got lucky when I found a member locally (Thanks Rick!) who had the material (1/2" square stock) I need to re-enforce the busted seam. I picked up the plastic and cut pieces to length only to find that not one corner of the sump is square. The bowing on the long sides that I can see is not due to water pressure, it's caused because the dividers are wider than the ends. The sump is made out of 3/8" plexi so I'm not sure if I should toss it out, attempt to repair it, or cut a hole in the stand so the sump can be removed from the front. I'm nervous that the seam will split again and I'll have to empty the tank to remove the sump. I have Weldon #3 but am going to look for Weldon #16 today. Fingers crossed that I can find some locally and don't have to wait for shipping.

ORCA Forum Member
    Iggy,

Here are a couple of options for you. Either of these should have what you need.

Tubelite Company Inc.
    102 Semoran Commerce Place
    Apopka, FL 32703
    (Local) 407.884.0477

Farco Plastics Supply, Inc.
    7151 Lake Ellenor Drive
    Orlando, FL 32809-5738
    (407) 888-2108
    "It's not a hobby, it's an addiction"
    - Can you help me with my next fix? -

There is a place right in the Industrial center across from South Seminole Hospital. Acrylic Plus Manufacturing. Great people, they carry everything and are ridiculously close to you. Number is 407-332-9992. That's who I deal with for ALL my acrylic needs.
    2009, 2010*and 2011 ORCA Mentoring Director. Proud to serve on the Board of Directors.
    (and I have no idea where the asterisk is coming from....)

ORCA Forum Member
    I took the sump to Acrylics Plus just a few minutes ago. I heard a (true) rumor that David from DTI sub-contracted for them so I left the sump in his care. He said that he could fix the seam and re-enforce all the corners with the rods from Rick but that I'd need to budget for a replacement in the long term Not sure what I'm going to do with the sump because it can only be removed from the back of the stand. ::sigh:: idk.

ORCA Forum Member
    rip it apart and recut the dividers? Basically, rebuild the sump.