Thread: 125 Gallon Tank Stand build and Set-up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ORCA Forum Member
    Ugh, I don't know what happened to my post...

Iggy,

Thanks for the response, that video is the one Tunze actually made in response to the study. Seen HERE. I know Tunze has more of a directional flow but they have boasted for years about how energy efficient their pumps are. Even if you factor using the APEX to control the tunze's the vortechs are still a much better value.

I was kind thinking about doing something like this...

The heat sinks are actually kinda cheap (around 71 cents a piece) I would just need the acrylic custom cut or take a risk with a router.

ORCA Forum Member
    Also, why would I hang on to the ORP probe for the calcium reactor? The APEX has a slot for one but, I was thinking I would just need two PH probes?

ORCA Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blatzphemy View Post
    Iggy,

Thanks for the response, that video is the one Tunze actually made in response to the study. Seen HERE. I know Tunze has more of a directional flow but they have boasted for years about how energy efficient their pumps are. Even if you factor using the APEX to control the tunze's the vortechs are still a much better value.
    I read the original article too and wasn't surprised it was sponsored by EcoMarine. I don't see the value proposition that you do. For me, the video reminds me that while a given pump might move a given volume of water mathematically, it doesn't directly contribute to that elusive quality of "flow". The Tunze pumps seems to move the total volume of dye across the entire tank where as the Vortechs fall short. Which is a better value? I don't know. Personally, I don't want either inside of my tank I just don't think a definitive "Brand X is the best value" statement can be made.

Quote Originally Posted by blatzphemy View Post
    I was kind thinking about doing something like this...
    Nice looking fixture, but.... think it could use any more fans? I wonder how much 20 60mm SilentX and 1 120mm fans/grills would set you back vs. the extra cost of a monster heat sink? I manage to cool 1/3 of the LEDs in that fixture with 2 60mm fans and no 120mm fans. Personally, I can't stand fan noise but more importantly should a fan fail, you may lose LEDs to heat damage unless you monitor the temps of the each heatsink (3).

Many people who use a calcium reactor recommend injecting ozone so measuring your ORP might be important. I'm no expert here.... so, just a thought.

ORCA Forum Member
    I'm glad you said something, I had no idea.

The fixture just has the one fan at the top. The holes are just for escaping air. I plan on building a 48'' fixture and using 3 120mm fans. I also bought this to control them http://www.ebay.com/itm/180699682474...#ht_5643wt_905
    It will spin the fans based on the heat. I also plan on using 4 pieces of the 1.8 heatsinks from heatsink USA.

Anyone know a good place to get anodizing done? I have looked into doing it DIY but I have no idea what I would do with a bunch of acid with black food coloring when I'm done.