Thread: New to the Sunshine State

ORCA Forum Member

New to the Sunshine State

Hello Orlando, My name is Jimmy and I am a resent transplant from Charlotte, NC but originally from Salt Lake City, UT. I have been dabbling with reef tanks, marine tanks and various critters as long as I can remember. Most recently I had a moderately successful 90 gallon mixed reef with a handful of smaller Nano tanks to house the frags that I just could not get rid of. I am Married with 3 crazy kids and spend a little to much time at Disneyworld. I took down and parted my livestock back in November 2015 and have not had a salt water tank since. I have bounced around the Orlando area trying to find a good fit for my family and I. I work at Florida Hospital and found the commute from Longwood much more pleasant than the one from Dr. Philips, so we ended up purchasing a home in the Longwood area and am just getting settled in. The itch to set up my tank is coming on strong, my wife even asked me a few days ago why I hadn't! Really its because I like to research research then jump in. So here I am now, prowling the forums and registering with ORCA. Glad to be here and hope to be here for a while.
    Jim

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    Welcome to ORCA forums !!!

Good local fish stores in the Longwood area to start windows shopping.

I hope you can make it to one of our meetings some day.
    Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2017

My 210g Journal

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

Welcome! This month's meeting is actually in February. Next week we are planting over 1300 sea oats at the Boardwalk in Indiatlantic. We will then have another meeting at the end of February.
    David Hill
    OREO VP 2017-2018
    OREO President 2015-2016
    ORCA President 2014-2016
    ORCA Secretary 2011-2013

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

Welcome Jimmy. Feel free hit me up to come see my craziness. i have an indoor system with auto water change and a garage stuff with gear that i have spilled into as a fish room now. I'm happy to talk about tanks and setups for a few hours and were kids friendly too here i have two young ones and a great park outside the front door. plenty of used gear as well always for sale several tanks a nice 120 strafer glass needs sold as well as a nice 75 gallon tanks stands sumps and all the gear pretty much to get you login fast if buying new is not your thing,

Lots to see here with four setups biggest is about 550 gallons and filling fast with corals.
    Four individual systems Right now.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.
    A 200 gallon MARS quarintine with UV system/ medication for new arrivals.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!

OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member

Welcome!

ORCA Forum Member
    Thank you all. It will be nice to get things up and running, hopefully soon. Unfortunately I work the 4th and cant make it to the meeting.
    Jim

ORCA Forum Member
    Also what's the difference between OREO and ORCA?

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Junglejim View Post
    Also what's the difference between OREO and ORCA?
    ORCA (Orlando Reef Caretakers Association) started back in the late 90s and that was the original name of the club until last year.
    We are now OREO (Orlando Reef Educators Organization) which is a registered public non-profit organization, I can't detail all the reasons why we couldn't keep our original ORCA club name when the board decided to become a non-profit org., but the easiest way to do it was to form a brand new club, and that's what the board did, so technically there's no difference between the two, the reef club is called OREO and this forum is still called ORCA.
    Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2017

My 210g Journal

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

Technically, OREO is Orlando Reef Educators Organization dba (doing business as) Orlando Reef Caretakers Association.
    David Hill
    OREO VP 2017-2018
    OREO President 2015-2016
    ORCA President 2014-2016
    ORCA Secretary 2011-2013

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

Because whales and cookies go good together was what i was told! But that sure makes a lot more sense lol.
    Four individual systems Right now.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.
    A 200 gallon MARS quarintine with UV system/ medication for new arrivals.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!