Thread: To drill or not to drill

ORCA Forum Member

To drill or not to drill

Last week, my brother helped me getting the equipment and setting up my tank while I was away busy at several appointments. When I came back, I was impressed with the way everything turned out. Live rock and sand installed and saltwater delivered. The tank has been running for a week now and it looks awesome. Except one thing. The overflow is one of those that hang from the back of the tank. I'm nervous that this is not reliable enough.

My question is: Should I stop the current cycle for a moment? My plan is to empty the water in a can, carefully remove the rocks and place in another can with some of the water and do the same with the sand. Then, take the tank outside and drill the necessary holes to build a good overflow system. I'm thinking like a "Bean Animal" design. Put the pipes in place, put back rocks, sand, and water.

Is this a good idea? Since I don't have any corals or fish, I thought this is the moment to do it.

Tank details: 65g. already checked and it's not tempered glass for front, back and sides.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    Definitely better to have a drilled tank than one with an overflow box, which sometime can fail.
    As far as the tank's cycle, the cycle will start again whenever you setup the tank with the new overflow, and it is better to do it now than waiting for it to cycle completely and then drill.
    Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2017

My 210g Journal

OREO Club Member
    OREO President
    ORCA Forum Member
    I agree with Cesar, drill now and enjoy the benefits later.
    Mixed reef 180 gallon DT,Euroreef rs 250 skimmer, AI LED lights, 2 Sicce HP Voyager 8 power heads, 40 sump, 40g frag tank, 75g Display Tank

Drill baby drill
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125

If you don't now, you'll regret you didn't in the future.
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125

ORCA/OREO Club Sponsor
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member

I have a bit that works for a 1" bulk head. If you don't drill it you have a good chance you will be mopping later.

OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by philip_r5 View Post
    Drill baby drill
    This. Just take your time and go slow. I was nervous as heck when I drilled one hole in my 60 cube but it turned out fine. Go from the inside to the outside if you can. The side that the drill starts on will almost always be the smoothest and that's where the gasket sits from the bulkhead to seal. That being said, I didn't have the room and mine turned out fine.

Drill!

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

Drill it bean animal is only way to go.
    Four individual systems Right now.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.
    A 200 gallon MARS quarintine with UV system/ medication for new arrivals.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!