Thread: Dosing "" N03 "" are you crazy!!! maybe I am.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eg8r210 View Post
    Jim, if your hanna constantly says 0 or .02 then you can get the ultra low phosphate tester HI736. That might give you a better reading. Maybe someone has one you can borrow to see if there is a difference.
    I do not have the ultra low hi736 model i have the low range hi713 model.
    i would be interested in trying the hi736 model.

I fully believe there is nearly 0ppm. I have none of the normal high p04 related issues. I don't mind 0 p04 so much, its the nitrate thats usually 100X as high as the p04 in your tank.. the 1 ppm vs the .02 ppm as common targets. sometimes as much as 5 ppm or higher and .02 ppm for some folks.
    Last edited by Jim28fl; 02-12-2016 at 07:12 PM.
    Four individual systems Right now.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.
    A 200 gallon MARS quarintine with UV system/ medication for new arrivals.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim28fl View Post
    I do not have the ultra low hi736 model i have the low range hi713 model.
    i would be interested in trying the hi736 model.

I fully believe there is nearly 0ppm. I have none of the normal high p04 related issues. I don't mind 0 p04 so much, its the nitrate thats usually 100X as high as the p04 in your tank.. the 1 ppm vs the .02 ppm as common targets. sometimes as much as 5 ppm or higher and .02 ppm for some folks.
    I have been working with Hanna, and have those for sale in large scale, from the general; feedback I got is when you test with them always do a first test and then a second one 9 out of 10 times the 2nd and the 3rd test will be very close if not exact
    55 Gl. non drilled, Mix reef, HOB protein skimmer, BRS bio Pellets reactor, 180W led.
    29 Gl. Biocube stock Mix reef
    75 Gl. Rimless drilled, Vertex IN250 protein skimmer, BRS Biopellet reactor in serie with carbon reactor, return Eheim 1262, 180 watts LED, 3 pump doser for A-B, strontium and magnesium
    Reef keeper eliteV2 Controler
    and feeding like crazy, no more low nutrients, yes to a high nutrients and explosive growth

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

Another quick update.. things have been very steady. i have remained at the same dose for the past two weeks.. i may up it a bit more next week to try n find the upper limit.

I still show 0 on my test kits. But i can tell there is more nutrients in the water now zoas are doing better over all "larger". Over all coloration and growth have improved. if anything the monti plates may have some adverse effects like white around the rim in certain spots. but by no means am I'm saying its from the No3 dosing.. too many other factors are possible ATM including growth rate increases. once i find some sort of upper threshold then ill know for sure if the occasional white color at the new growth edge of the monti caps is related to no3 amounts of not.

I'm sure its had over all positive effects at this point but i'd not say its amazing or anything. just noticeable positive. its possible i can double the dosage again and still not have an issue as i have a high quality skimmer and good husbandry with Auto WC an all that which would keep things in check anyway. no new algae growth increase either.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

So far so good. colors have picked up growth has picked up. skimmer out put is normal. no nitrates are detectable still. I'm going to maintain this dosage for another month i think and make sure results are related to only this.

Im honestly very happy and i do believe its of value. i would start slow of course. If anything i would watch montipora caps type corals for any signs of white areas which seem to indicate a upper limit possibly.. i read this else where as well. I do dose a far larger amount in my small 30 gallon LPS tank and also see good results there also. I do not test for nitrate in that one though. I just dump some in "two caps full ish" when i think about it.
    40 softies set up.