Thread: Dosing "" N03 "" are you crazy!!! maybe I am.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ORCA/OREO Club Sponsor
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member

Having a zero reading and a .02 reading makes sense due to the test kits limits. If you fear it maybe wrong you can double check it with another. I think it sounds spot on as you think you have too low of a level. I would say keep using it and keep up with the trend of the kit as the trend is better to see than nothing.
    As for the kalk if it smells funny or is not pure white ditch it and get some new stuff.
    Seawater over synthetic is always a great choice if collected correctly. Unfortunately with you working on a fine line with a finding a perfect balance you would have to pick one of the two for stability. Fine tuning levels like this is a daunting task, but is at the pinnacle of reef keeping. Keep up the good work.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

I ended the Kalk last night on the big 300. since I'm still fish only out there and just testing corals.. i may do a large water change then begin my auto WC schedule and add talk back in later. the ph made it to 8.45 and stable the last few weeks just before i stopped using it. ill see how far its drops back down with the ca reactor running out there.. its on real low so i expect very lil effect.

Ill ask run some good carbon after the big water changer i think.

on to the results so far on the sps stump remover tank. so far things look good bit more growth in the FUGE i think. corals seem a bit more inflated. test still show 0 so ill stay on course another week and maybe up the dose a bit. I'm in no hurry here as things look pretty good anyway.. but i can tell after so long now.. that i just don't have enough nitrate in there i think.

Stoping the auto water change would let the water get dirty as would stopping the skimmer but the adverse effects are more of an issue than the dosing schedule n set up of the P03 dosing i think at this point. if there were other issues i may choose a different solution. next week ill run a p04 test as well make sure that is still very low or 0.

I'll try n post some pictures when I get a minute.
    Four individual systems Right now.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.
    A 200 gallon MARS quarintine with UV system/ medication for new arrivals.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!