Thread: Sea Oat Restoration

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

Sea Oat Restoration

OREO (Orlando Reef Educators Organization) is meeting to plant sea oats and wants everyone on the ORCA forum to be aware that if they live in the area they are more than welcome to participate. They will be very welcome and please consider joining the organization to promote education and conservation efforts.

We will be planting Sea Oats at the Indiatlantic Boardwalk on Feb. 6th at 10 AM. The approximate address is 27 Wave Crest Ave, Indiatlantic, Florida, near James Nance Park. It is approximately 1 1/2 hours from Orlando. There is metered parking at the boardwalk, but the city will give us parking exemptions. They would like to know how many to expect, so if you could respond to this post we (they) would appreciate it.

OREO plans to have a barbecue about 2 miles north at Howard Futch Park after the planting.
    David Hill
    OREO VP 2017-2018
    OREO President 2015-2016
    ORCA President 2014-2016
    ORCA Secretary 2011-2013

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

One car, the four of us will be attending. Thanks
    Four individual systems Right now.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.
    A 200 gallon MARS quarintine with UV system/ medication for new arrivals.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

One car, and the two of us will be attending and bringing a whole lot of plants.
    David Hill
    OREO VP 2017-2018
    OREO President 2015-2016
    ORCA President 2014-2016
    ORCA Secretary 2011-2013

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    One car, and the two of us will be attending and bringing a whole lot of plants.
    I'll have the suv but tell me if you need any help. I plan to bring jason n mary and little gabriel with me as well.
    they joined in nov. depend if he is back from a work trip.He is 90% sure he will be back from out of state from work.

I sure hope more folks jump in on this i think it will be good fun. There beautiful beaches over there.
    Last edited by Jim28fl; 01-28-2016 at 09:00 AM.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

OREO Club Member
    OREO President
    ORCA Forum Member
    Sarah and I will be coming as well, maybe Max
    Mixed reef 180 gallon DT,Euroreef rs 250 skimmer, AI LED lights, 2 Sicce HP Voyager 8 power heads, 40 sump, 40g frag tank, 75g Display Tank

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    My son has a Soccer tournament that same day not too far from there at "Max K Rodes Park" with games at 8:30AM and 1:00PM
    I will probably be there if it is from 10AM to 12PM.
    Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2017

My 210g Journal

ORCA Forum Member
    My wife and I will gladly be there!

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

We are meeting in Indiatlantic at 10 AM. This is the end of 192. To help with parking, is there anyone else planning on coming? We had more people say that they were interested. We are just trying to plan this event.
    David Hill
    OREO VP 2017-2018
    OREO President 2015-2016
    ORCA President 2014-2016
    ORCA Secretary 2011-2013

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

for sure Jason, Mary n lil Gabriel with be riding with my wife in our car. ill have the truck to help you david, get the plants..
    40 softies set up.

ORCA Forum Member
    Sorry for the late response. Dianna and I will be attending in one vehicle.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

We had a great day planting sea oats today. Joe from the town of Indiatlantic was impressed and very thankful. Linda who had cleared out the invasive plants earlier said that OREO "made a great contribution. Also everyone was so nice to work with. Thank you. Stay in touch for next year."
    David Hill
    OREO VP 2017-2018
    OREO President 2015-2016
    ORCA President 2014-2016
    ORCA Secretary 2011-2013

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

The kids had a blast!!!! I had a blast! What a great event. We even trooped thru the local fish stores after the meeting with some of the club members.. good times.. see you all again real soon.. get your chilly recipes ready for the next meeting.
    40 softies set up.

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    We missed it, we got there late and there was nobody or maybe I had the wrong address, we didn't have time anyway we were just going to say hello and leave.
    Good to know it was a nice event.
    Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2017

My 210g Journal