Thread: Looking for a yellow tang

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking for a yellow tang

I just finish setting up a 300 gallon I also move most of the fish from My 75 gallons into but, I reeally would like to get a Yellow Tang Medium size, most important good looking
    55 Gl. non drilled, Mix reef, HOB protein skimmer, BRS bio Pellets reactor, 180W led.
    29 Gl. Biocube stock Mix reef
    75 Gl. Rimless drilled, Vertex IN250 protein skimmer, BRS Biopellet reactor in serie with carbon reactor, return Eheim 1262, 180 watts LED, 3 pump doser for A-B, strontium and magnesium
    Reef keeper eliteV2 Controler
    and feeding like crazy, no more low nutrients, yes to a high nutrients and explosive growth

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    Finally the 300g is ready good.

Any pictures ?

Most of our LFSs have those in stock.
    I both a baby one 2 years ago in Top Shelf Aq. I both it along with a baby hippo tang, they're both big now and good boddies.
    Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2017

My 210g Journal

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

call longwood store, they had about a dozen when i was there two months ago. its something he keeps in stock in various sizes. top shelf probably can hook you up as well.

I just added a small one into my clown/ lps tank after a month of quarantine and he has made quick work of any lingering algae and is playing nice with everyone even though when in quarantine he hid the entire month behind the rocks. the smaller he is the smaller holes he can fit in!! appetite is not an issue its a tang.

A tang is pretty much a must have in a fair size reef tank i think for management purposes. I also have been committed to a melanurus wrasse or hoven wrasse some call them. there really keep creepy bugs n critters at bay. Both of those are must haves for my future frag only grow out system.
    Last edited by Jim28fl; 01-14-2016 at 09:00 AM.
    Four individual systems Right now.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.
    A 200 gallon MARS quarintine with UV system/ medication for new arrivals.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

Most if not all of our sponsors have them all the time. I think Sea in the City and Living Reef had them on "sale" for $19 last week. That price sell shows up all of the time. That is a good price for them.
    David Hill
    OREO VP 2017-2018
    OREO President 2015-2016
    ORCA President 2014-2016
    ORCA Secretary 2011-2013

Agreed, I have a large Blue Hippo and also a large sailfin Tang, just was looking for something a bit bigger than the common medium size, that is often at the stores, and my other must have is some yellow coris wrasse, works awesome on parasites, to keep them under control
    55 Gl. non drilled, Mix reef, HOB protein skimmer, BRS bio Pellets reactor, 180W led.
    75 Gl. Rimless drilled, Vertex IN250 protein skimmer, BRS Biopellet reactor in serie with carbon reactor, return Eheim 1262, 180 watts LED, 3 pump doser for A-B, strontium and magnesium
    and feeding like crazy, no more low nutrients, yes to a high nutrients and explosive growth

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

I have a medium large yellow tang here that was part of the break down of PAPA Dragons system two weeks ago.. they show no signs of stress or anything but have only been in my quarantine for 2 weeks now. that would work for you i think. I don't not have an algae supply for him to consume in the 300 so he might work.

He is about 4-4.5" nose to tail i'd say and in great shape. obviously an older fish. but no crazy body defects or anything. good temperament he is used to tank mates. I think 30$ is the right range for him maybe. Pm me ill txt you some pictures if your still looking.
    As always got plenty of rock over here as well.. live and dry marco if you looking for any.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1937.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	4059
    Last edited by Jim28fl; 01-14-2016 at 10:02 AM.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim28fl View Post
    I have a medium large yellow tang here that was part of the break down of PAPA Dragons system two weeks ago.. they show no signs of stress or anything but have only been in my quarantine for 2 weeks now. that would work for you i think. I don't not have an algae supply for him to consume in the 300 so he might work.

He is about 4-4.5" nose to tail i'd say and in great shape. obviously an older fish. but no crazy body defects or anything. good temperament he is used to tank mates. I think 30$ is the right range for him maybe. Pm me ill txt you some pictures if your still looking.
    As always got plenty of rock over here as well.. live and dry marco if you looking for any.

Name:	IMG_1937.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	4059
    Thanks Jim, I did got one at the local store, medium size, my tank is 8 feet long, not sure if I can have 2? but I like the idea of having 2, on this tank I used Balck hawain sand so the colors of the fish can be seen from anywhere in the house, let me know your thoughts on having 2 on the same tank, that size.
    Thanks again for the quick response

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

i don't know about 2 yellows, but I have a yellow and a desjardinii in my 300 at school. They are both in the genus Zebrasoma and therefore, supposedly don't like each other. The desjardinii is the boss and the yellow has to wait to eat, but other than that they get along fine. I don't see a problem with two yellows, based on experience.
    David Hill
    OREO VP 2017-2018
    OREO President 2015-2016
    ORCA President 2014-2016
    ORCA Secretary 2011-2013

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

I don't think i would do two unless they both went in at the exact same time. Mine is not a good option i don't think.. they will certainly have issues its not worth the risk. can't wait to see the new big tank bid. the other things is there meant to graze on age and be supplements with provided food. One can easily keep a 300 cleaned up i put a super small one in the 30 gal lips tank and he ate the bryopsis the first night and has picked the tank clean in a few days. they need a large tank to do well and you have to feed them once they clean out tank. id expect you have very little algae in the new tank so you will have to feed two an enamors amount of veggie if there a medium size. like one-two sheets a day sort of thing id guess.
    40 softies set up.

Very, good point Jim, I will stay with what I have, only, I still on the search for a couple of good wrasses, as budget permits (wife authorization)
    Tank is doing very well so far, Just a couple of issues with the BLDC pump, tends to shuts off on its own, but with such a lower power consumption, I am relentless to go to a regular Pump.
    I may have to Change the brand

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

Of all my wrasses the melanurus wrasse is my most effective Hunter. I now have two of them and watching for a third for the frag system. In my lps system i have pretty much had all the usual bugs or baddies, the Red bugs, polycheate flat worms, and byropsis, and him n the yellow tang have now clean it all up and kept it clean so far. byropisi is my most recent win with he tang. may have gotten lucky there. I rotate my acan and euphillia the frags once a week for growth and let the tang n wrasse get at all angles.

the rest of the fish are cute to look at but those two do the work.
    40 softies set up.

Name:	20160126_201959 (1).jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	4060Here is a picture of how my sump is going, Have terrific help from a club member to set the plumbing

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member

Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2017

My 210g Journal