Thread: Howdy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ORCA Forum Member

Cool Howdy

What's up guys? I inherited a FO tank 10 months ago and have been painfully cleaned it up and converted it to FOWLR with hopes of introducing corals in the next few months. Came across your group through a neighbor who's selling his house and he said you have an incredible group. Woo!

I've got a 65 gal tank with a 20 gal sump (currently disconnected). The original owner treated his fish with copper but I've managed to eliminate it by changing the sand bed, removing the refugium, and adding a protein skimmer. I've had a stable system with a deep sand bed (4~5") and about 15 lbs live rock for about 4 months. I've got a healthy chocolate chip starfish, 2 brittle stars, and 3 hermit crabs to prove it's safe.

Still battling a few challenges such as electric blue protein skimmate and excessive snail eggs on the glass but all in all I think I'm winning the war. Looking forward to meeting more local reefers!

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    Welcome to ORCA !!!
    Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2017

My 210g Journal

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    It will be good to get a good copper test, copper is not something that can be eliminated that easy, even the silicone in the tank will leach copper that is still there.
    If you're planning on keeping corals in it, I'd test for copper and make sure it is zero (0).
    Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2017

My 210g Journal

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

Welcome to ORCA, I second that copper advice.. maybe be worth a total strip down and dry/ wash out. and good soak with a few pumps in there. I personally don't do medications of any kind. I'm just too scared of them. to many unknowns. pour on the questions we try n help.
    Four individual systems Right now.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.
    A 200 gallon MARS quarintine with UV system/ medication for new arrivals.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

Welcome to ORCA! I second Cesar's concern on the copper. I would also be a little leery of the chocolate chip. He is fine in a FOWLR, but start adding the other stuff and you might be missing it when he gets hungry. Of course, you might luck out. The good thing is that the chocolate chip is easy to catch.
    David Hill
    OREO VP 2017-2018
    OREO President 2015-2016
    ORCA President 2014-2016
    ORCA Secretary 2011-2013