Thread: Greetings From Michigan

ORCA Forum Member

Greetings From Michigan

Hello all,
    My other half and I are relocating to Orlando next week. I am moving my 240 gallon aquarium down and am dreading the challenge but I think I have it planned out pretty decent. I am getting rid of most of the rocks and sand since I just cant move it all. I cant bring myself to part with my fish so I am going to move them down with me as quickly as possible. Anyways, hope to meet all of you soon!
    Jason

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    Welcome to Orlando and Welcome to ORCA !!!!
    Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2017

My 210g Journal

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

fish transport advise related.... make sure no more than two or three in a bag of at least a gallon maybe of water you wanna throw away anyway once you here. alot of times they ship with a ton of chem in the bag to knock down ammonia and release free oxygen. As well as fill the bag with pure 02. Better to have forty buckets of live fish n coral than 3 of all dead fish n baked corals. Sounds like a chore. At one of our meetings we discussed emergency life support as a few pumps and one of those kiddy pools for a day or two.. maybe that will work till the tank is set filled hooked up and then a few hours to stabilse chemical lvls. try n bring as much of your original water as you can. if you put all your coral into brand new clean water. that will be a large shock from what there used to. even though its prefect parameters water.. there used to the old parameters. so having that old water is login to do you more good than bad in that sense..
    Travel safe.
    Four individual systems Right now.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.
    A 200 gallon MARS quarintine with UV system/ medication for new arrivals.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!

Hope everything makes it fine.
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

Jason,

Welcome! What part of Michigan? I was in the Flint area for 19 years. Have you talked to any of our sponsors about holding your fish until you get the tank up and running?
    David Hill
    OREO VP 2017-2018
    OREO President 2015-2016
    ORCA President 2014-2016
    ORCA Secretary 2011-2013

ORCA Forum Member
    Hey all,
    Well all my fish made it safely which makes me so happy. It was extremely stressful and had a couple of issues that could have been disasterous but was able to work through them. I currently have them in a 20 gallon tote with an emporer filter and whatever live rock I could fit. I havent come up with the next step yet as I may be thinking about maybe downsizing a little from the 240. The house we are in currently is only 1300 sq ft so a 8ft tank takes up alot of real estate. I do need to figure it out asap. Maybe 120 or 180. Hi Coach I was up in the upper peninsula around Marquette. I just need to get them out of this tote ASAP.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

I would talk to one of our sponsors and let them know that you just moved, but that you are an ORCA member. What is the area where your current house is located?
    David Hill
    OREO VP 2017-2018
    OREO President 2015-2016
    ORCA President 2014-2016
    ORCA Secretary 2011-2013

ORCA Forum Member
    I am on the western edge of avalon park. I tried responding to your message but it says you have reached your limit on messages and need to clear space haha. Do you happen to know any stores around that may carry a tank between 120-180g? Ive been browsing craigslist but a little light on quality listings. The 240 would arrive later next week but just don't need the 8 foot tank yet as my fish are still relatively small.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

Sorry, cleared some out. I think the Living Reef is probably the closest to you. I would stop by and ask Luke or Dillan if they could hold the fish for you. As far as anyone carrying a 120-180g, I don't know of anyone. Wait, Reefers Direct might have one.
    David Hill
    OREO VP 2017-2018
    OREO President 2015-2016
    ORCA President 2014-2016
    ORCA Secretary 2011-2013

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

Steven at Reefer's Direct says he has pre-manufactured and custom aquariums available. I am double checking on in stock or can get. He just texted, in stock.
    David Hill
    OREO VP 2017-2018
    OREO President 2015-2016
    ORCA President 2014-2016
    ORCA Secretary 2011-2013

ORCA Forum Member
    awesome thanks so much! I will have to take a drive down there today!

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

As a last resort i have a fully covered, 40 gallon tank with 20 gallons in the sump set up as a transition/ quarantine tank out by my big systems that has three large removable rock structures. Skimmer n ATO n all that.
    Has one month old fish in it ATM thats ready to go into my main tank.. they could go in there for a few weeks as a last resort. Its pest free and has been running over a year. which would allow you to get things up and running. coral wise its not satisfactory for sps but would probably handle lps ok. all as a last resort. if things start turning south for you all of a sudden in the 20 tote.

Hang in there.
    Four individual systems Right now.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.
    A 200 gallon MARS quarintine with UV system/ medication for new arrivals.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    Hi Jason,

We're close, I'm in Stoneybrook.

Yes. The Living Reef is our closest store, I'm sure they will help you if you ask, ask for Luke.

If you just need to temporarily a place to put all your live stock I have a 150g brute rubbermaid stock tank you can use while your tank arrives :

It is ike this one:

Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2017

My 210g Journal

ORCA Forum Member
    hey all. Sorry been insanely busy. I ended up picking up a 125 for a couple hundred bucks. Problem is now I cant fill it fast enough haha. trying to get ro/di working but no luck as of yet. My buckets and containers are 6 days away in a moving trailer so this will be pretty insane. Worst thing is its back to work tomorrow. I went to living reef to see if they had any containers I could just borrow so I could buy rodi water but they didnt have any. I thought about going to home depot but living reef closed before I couldve went and bought them.

ORCA Forum Member
    Heres a photo

ORCA Forum Member
    Success!!!!!@!#@$#@$#@$@$@!!!

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

, glad to hear it.
    David Hill
    OREO VP 2017-2018
    OREO President 2015-2016
    ORCA President 2014-2016
    ORCA Secretary 2011-2013

ORCA Forum Member
    steady progess!!

The 240 is now in the garage so if I ever get this tank filled with coral some day I have the upgrade ready. Gonna take alot more coral haha.