Thread: Purple Tang vs Yellow Tang

ORCA Forum Member

Purple Tang vs Yellow Tang

Saturday at CoralCon I bought a Purple Tang. I know it was a coral show not a fish show, however I've wanted one for a long time but couldn't rationalize the price. Well one of the vendors had two small ones and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Especially since I was working our club's booth and Jim had his Purple Tang in the display tank there egging me on.

Once I acclimated the Purple Tang, I put it in my 120G. I already have a Hippo Tang and a Yellow Tang so I was a little concerned with how they would get along. Unfortunately, they didn't; the Yellow Tang immediately started harassing the Purple Tang so I turned the lights out. Sunday morning as soon as the lights came on the Yellow Tang again went after the Purple Tang without letting up at all. The funny thing was the Hippo Tang kept going between the Yellow and Purple trying to be the peacekeeper.

I printed out four pictures of Yellow Tang and taped two to the front of the tank and one on each side. The Yellow Tang went behind the rocks and didn't go near the Purple Tang or the pictures. The Purple Tang is doing fine mostly hanging around the left side of the tank while the Yellow Tang continues to stay on the right side behind the rock structures, occasionally coming out to pick at the rocks and eat, but is leaving the Purple Tang alone when it does. I'll leave the pictures up for a few days and hope that the Yellow Tang continues to behave once I take them down.

Thats kind of funny to hear he got scared from the pictures. I hope all gets better for him.
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

Great idea.. glad it worked out.. Everyone over here is back at home and happy.. no losses during the move infact, new additions.. cant go to a show with out buying something of course..

Enjoy that lil beauty..
    Four individual systems Right now.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.
    A 200 gallon MARS quarintine with UV system/ medication for new arrivals.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!

ORCA Forum Member
    So far so good! After a couple of days the Yellow Tang started ignoring the pictures and moved about the tank, but even though it charges at the Purple Tang occasionally it isn't a full out attack as before. Today the Purple Tang has started moving away from the left side. I've taken two of the pictures down and will probably remove the other two today.

ORCA Forum Member
    All the pictures are down and no sign of hostility at all. The Purple Tang moves freely around the tank feeding next to the Yellow Tang and the Flame Angel.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

Good work, home run, congrats.. mine eats anything that goes in the tank but i feed nori once a week at least specifically for him.

Eating well??
    Four individual systems Right now.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.
    A 200 gallon MARS quarintine with UV system/ medication for new arrivals.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!

ORCA Forum Member
    Thanks, Jim. It is eating well, like you said anything that goes in the tank. I put nori in yesterday and the Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Hippo Tang and Flame Angel all took turns at it.