Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 75g up and running

75g up and running

Put together a 75g a couple weeks ago in an attempt to spread out the overcrowded 50g I was in. Still need more room. Time to sell of some corals.

Last picture is something I couldn't pass up. So I grabbed it tonight. Will get a better picture once it's open

Hey bud I am in the same boat, I just got my 75 yesterday , but I have some space to fill , if you need to unload anything please PM

ORCA Forum Member
    Wow! What a beautiful new tank! The Midas blenny is awesome. I can't quite make out the polyps on your new coral but I'd love to try and make a guess... is it Aleveopora or Gonipora? I see why you couldn't pass it up, looks like it will be a stunner when it finally settles in. Eagerly awaiting new pics!

Yes, it's a Branching Red Goniopora. I read an article just last week ( http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/02/b...red-goniopora/ ) and Route66 had just started getting them in. Then I walked by it in my buddy Robs store and didn't pay much attention to it, not realizing what it was. Saturday evening I sent him a text and asked if it was the branching Goni, and told him I wanted it! It came home with me yesterday.

Here's a picture from tonight. I did move it to an upright position so not to damage any of it's flesh. The bare area's (where it was cut and where it had little growth are now laying against the rock in it's current position.

This is my first Branching Goniopora, so I'll update as it goes. My fear with this coral is that it will not like pristine water conditions. There's not much as far as information, that I have found yet, to the care of this species, so i will be scouring the web for the next few days. As I mentioned, I have the fear that it will like not so pristine conditions... Hmm another tank setup maybe?

ORCA Forum Member
    Wow, looking better already. I read an article some time back about a new food made just for Gonis http://reefbuilders.com/2011/09/10/j...werpot-corals/ . Good luck! Hope you have to cut it soon.

ORCA/OREO Club Sponsor
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member

Icon12

Nice tank. "Hmm another tank setup maybe? " Absolutely. I been trying to think of a good excuse to add another tank myself. Now I just need to get one of those corals.

Quote Originally Posted by smpolyp View Post
    Nice tank. "Hmm another tank setup maybe? " Absolutely. I been trying to think of a good excuse to add another tank myself. Now I just need to get one of those corals.
    Almost makes me think I shouldn't have got rid of the 50g.

I guess it all depends on how this Goni does. If I start to see it decline, then it's going to be another tank, softies/lps, I'll keep the 75g as an SPS system or vise verse.

I see so many softy tanks thriving with "dirty" water. Zoa polyps the size of of dimes. Its mind blowing.

Nice looking tank. That clam is HUGE
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125

That really looks good, hope my set up looks similar, just debating to go al t-5 or MH/T-5 Combination, any input?
    since you have the best of both worlds.

ORCA/OREO Club Sponsor
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member

"I see so many softy tanks thriving with "dirty" water. Zoa polyps the size of of dimes. Its mind blowing."

Some use their water from their stony tank for the softy tank water change. Two tanks but the same cost in salt.

ORCA Forum Member
    Tank looks awesome. Love the new coral and that clam.... now thats a clam. A real beauty and huge......

Thanks for the comments.

That clam kinda makes me mad. I got him when he was about 2 inches long, he's now about 6-7" after 2 years. Definitely a fast grower! BUT, he always turns himself into the current which is understandable, but at the same time, he's always sideways against glass which makes viewing him a bit tough

On another note, I thought I would throw up the SketchUp diagrams I put together when I decided to do this tank. If anyone wants one done for their next system, just drop me a line. Always glad to do it, and it take no time at all.

Update to this setup. Finished my accent lighting and added it to the fixture. I had a 36" 2x36w fixture resting on the edge of the tank for the added color spectrum/Pop... this was nerve racking and unsightly, but did the job temporarily.

When I initially built the fixture, it was 42"x12" using 3/4" aluminum L rails. It holds the 2-150w Halides in the center, and was setup to add 39w T5's for accenting. I decided to try some LED's instead. I revamped the fixture to measure at 42x13 with a channel on front and back, that holds 8-4"x3" heat-sinks. Doing it this way makes the fixture modular for future upgrades as the heat-sinks just sit in the channel, no screws or chance of falling through, no need for fans, and I can move them as desired.

It's controlled for dimming using the Apex and also doubles as moonlighting. I'm having some issues with the dimming, but I have this narrowed down to the output from the Apex. I'm in contact with Neptune about getting the base unit Variable Speed ports repaired as they are putting out 13.6v, and should only be 0-10v.

You'll also notice that this is wired Series/Parallel. The most common way that LED's are currently wired is in Series alone. In order for me to get away with a minimalistic/modular design, I used:
    8-20w LED's
    1-24v/100w Power Supply
    2-1400mA BuckBlocks

Wiring the LEDs in 2 parallel strings divided the output current by 2, providing 700mA to each string.

I'll get some pictures of the actual fixture next week and post them up.

There's definitely blue in the tank now, and best of all, it's complete coverage with no spotlight effects, and now I am really considering going full LED.

Oh and the latest picture of the Branching Goni

Quote Originally Posted by techbiker View Post
    That really looks good, hope my set up looks similar, just debating to go al t-5 or MH/T-5 Combination, any input?
    since you have the best of both worlds.
    I added the blue LED's, and now considering full LED. I'm following a thread on RC where people are using 50/100w Multi-Chip LEDs. It seems promising as the light spread is huge, but after seeing what my buddy Rob at Oceans Below ( http://www.oceansbelowinc.com ) builds using so few LED's, I'm hesitant to make the switch to the single (which I would need 2 for the 75g). Rob's fixture's are impressive and put out so much light it's insane. He really needs to brand himself. He's been in the LED scene for 5-6 years now, longer than LED's have been mainstream, so I trust his judgement completely when it comes to this. He makes tanks POP using only 3 different color LED's, that's it, and growth in those tanks is awesome.

I helped him install a fixture over a 330g tank, I believe the fixture had 36 LED's... It was unreal what he achieved

Nice pictures man and your sketchups are crazy good.
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

My In-Wall 125

Do you supplement your tank with any additives? Also do you use a carbon reactor or phosphate removing substance?

My In-Wall 125

I dose Cal and Alk via the Apex and Drew's Dosers. Cal is BRS, and Alk is Baked Baking Soda (which also helps maintain my pH at 8.2-8.3)

Use a phosban reactor with GFO from BRS
    Use a Carbon Reactor as needed. I haven't run this in a few months now.

I add Reef Snow when I remember, and recently started feeding the corals with Brightwell products. I've never spot fed before as I didn't really want to. The only reason I even started the Brightwell products was because ReadyAquatics went out of business down here, and I bought up most of their Brightwell items at 75% off to resell on ebay and CL. I kept some, so now I feed the corals once a week on alternating days. I want to see if there will actually be a difference or not.