Thread: Saturday, July 19th - Lauderdale by the Sea beach dives

Saturday, July 19th - Lauderdale by the Sea beach dives

Is anyone interested in a Lauderdale by the Sea Beach dive this Saturday? I'm thinking about going and was wondering if anyone else is interested in experiencing this dive with someone who's experienced diving this site? This is a great dive to do some collecting for your aquariums. Ned DeLoach rates this dive site as the best beach dive in Florida.

Some questions and answers about this trip

Q)
    What's the drive 3 hrs?A) Yes, 3 hours each way. I believe it's about 200 miles from my house taking the turnpike.

Q) Is on the beach so kids could play at beach ?
    A) Yes, very nice sugar sand beach with crystal clear water. You can see and catch stuff in the shallow water snorkeling. You can snorkel on the 1st reef line, but you need a dive flag if you go out of the swimming area. I snorkeled with my daughters on the 1st reef line in the past and they loved it. This is one of the best beaches in Florida! It's like the beach in Miami without the nudity.

Q) Is the reef close enough that I could dive. Then my wife could dive.
    To keep an eye on the kids
    A) Lots of reef lines, about 200 yards apart, but the further out you go the better. I usually go to the 3rd reef line (600 - 800 yards offshore). The reef is 20' - 30' on the 3rd reef line. Yes, you can take turns diving. If others go we might have different dive teams (buddies).

Bring lots of quarters to feed the parking meters, so you don't get a ticket. Their's a boardwalk, so you can walk to places to eat and shop from the parking area. I will probably have a picnic lunch on the beach. We will be enter north or south of the pier.

We had a great time doing the Lauderdale-By-The-Sea beach dives. It was approximately a 40 minute swim out to the third reef line. It's marked with mooring buoys (yes, we were out by the boats). The deeper part of the ledge is in approximately 20' of water. Our depth averaged about 15'. This is a very pretty reef with lots of coral and fish. I pointed out a couple of lobster. We saw fish being cleaned by a shrimp at a cleaning station. This reef keeps going on. We ended the dive when the first diver was down to 700 PSI. Tucker took video and pictures with his GoPro on this dive.

The ocean was lake Atlantic. We had rougher conditions at the lake.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LauderdaleByThe SeaBeach.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	3801

Here's some of the posted rules:

Attachment 3802

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Here's some of the posted rules:

Attachment 3802
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LauderdaleByTheSeaRules.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	3803

OREO Club Member
    OREO President
    ORCA Forum Member
    Looks like you had ideal conditions over the weekend
    Mixed reef 180 gallon DT,Euroreef rs 250 skimmer, AI LED lights, 2 Sicce HP Voyager 8 power heads, 40 sump, 40g frag tank, 75g Display Tank

The conditions were excellent!! Maybe someone with a GoPro will post some pictures. I think they like to keep the pictures and video private. One of these days I will buy one and post some video and pictures.