Thread: Hello all!

ORCA Forum Member

Hello all!

Hello all my name is Ryan, I just joined the ORCA today. I have had a freshwater cichlid tank for just over 2 years and decided a year ago to try saltwater. I started with a 10g that i had for about 6 months but just upgraded to a 29g with a 20g sump about a month ago maybe 6 weeks. Its been going okay after my many setbacks. Currently in the tank are 2 fancy vivid occilaris clowns, a blue with yellow tail damsel, and a red knobby star (who will be leaving the tank within the next few weeks-months since I was misinformed by my LFS). I will list my equipment later as I am tired and gotta work at 6am. Im looking forwar to learning all I can and hopefully meet new people along the way!

ORCA Forum Member
    I forgot to mention I also have a Royal Gramma, its a new addition. So for equipment I have a Jebao wp10 (right panel top front) and a hydor koralia nano 240 (right panel middle back) for my powerheads. For protein skimmer I have the Reef Octopus NWB-110, im still trying to tune it in but it has some nasty gunk on the inside of the top of the bubble tube. For return pump I have a ALEAS HM-5063 which is rated at roughly 530 gph, its too strong but with the gate valve in place its working. For a heater I have a heater my friend got from a walmart kit that came with a 55 gallon aquarium, its not the greatest but it works. For my light I have the ZooMed Aquasun HO T5 24" fixture. I really want to get a clam, some sps, and lps so I am hoping to upgrade soon I just dont have the 170$ for the Reef Radiance Dm155e I want to get. Unless I can find a cheaper lighting unit ill stick to fish for a bit.

I forgot to mention in the first post that there is roughly 35 lbs of dry rock (well used to be) in the DT and about 10lbs of rubble in the sump. I have a 2" sand bed in the DT and a mini refugium in the sump with a 1" sand bed. Im not yet able to post attachments so unfortunately no pics at this time.

ORCA Forum Member
    Welcome to ORCA.

ORCA Forum Member
    Welcome to ORCA. There are plenty of people here that are more then willing to help, just ask questions. I dont know what you have planned this weekend, but there is a club meeting this sat night. This meeting is based on how to make your own fish food. Should be a pretty interesting meeting. Hope to see you there.

Chad

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

Welcome to ORCA! I agree with lusenut2's comments.
    David Hill
    OREO VP 2017-2018
    OREO President 2015-2016
    ORCA President 2014-2016
    ORCA Secretary 2011-2013

Welcome to ORCA, happy to have you here!
    55 Gl. non drilled, Mix reef, HOB protein skimmer, BRS bio Pellets reactor, 180W led.
    29 Gl. Biocube stock Mix reef
    75 Gl. Rimless drilled, Vertex IN250 protein skimmer, BRS Biopellet reactor in serie with carbon reactor, return Eheim 1262, 180 watts LED, 3 pump doser for A-B, strontium and magnesium
    Reef keeper eliteV2 Controler
    and feeding like crazy, no more low nutrients, yes to a high nutrients and explosive growth

OREO Secretary
    ORCA Forum Member
    Welcome, and welcome to the salty side - we have corals
    Do come out to a meeting. Don't be afraid to ask any questions.
    Last edited by CoralolisEffect; 04-25-2014 at 08:47 AM.
    ><((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ><(((((º>
    I keep water, last checked about 600 gallons worth.
    Problem is animals keep using it as there water closet.
    Worst of all the littlest ones keep using up all the supplies.

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    Welcome to ORCA!!!
    Royal Gramma is a beautiful colorful fish.
    Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2017

My 210g Journal

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

Welcome Ryan there is no shortage of info from the members here everyone has great input just ask. sounds like your well on your way to a great reef.
    Four individual systems Right now.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.
    A 200 gallon MARS quarintine with UV system/ medication for new arrivals.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!

Welcome to Orca Ryan

ORCA Forum Member
    Thanks everyone! I saw the meeting but I work at Publix and every sat and sun I usually work all day or night so we will see if I ever make it to the meetings, money is tight so cant really take off much. I look forward to learning more and more about this hobby, I am usually on Reef2Reef everyday for an hour or so and will check here every day or two. Being new stinks but isnt all bad, a lot of experienced reefers help and its awesome. I plan on returning the favors in the years to come. My next goal is to find or save up for a new lighitng system to be able to keep clams and sps, maybe a few lps.

Welcome! (This is my first post?)