Thread: new/old member

OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member

Cool new/old member

Hi gang,
    Live in winter springs fl for about 14 years, originally New York, can you tell by the accent. I own a 125 gal reef/fish tank, just purchast razor led 300 watt,looking to buy a ro and or ro/di filter. With corals do I really need a ro/di filter or can I get away with just a ro filter. I hate waisting water. Well hope to see you all next meeting. Dave

OREO Secretary
    ORCA Forum Member
    Welcome glad to have you back.

Winter springs cool! I am in your area springs/oviedo.

Towards the di I don know. I have always used the di with ro. It's what most all do In practice. Geting a refillable cartrage and filling the di yourself saves a couple bucks.
    I do advocate a flush kit (cheap) to regulary flush the ro membrane.
    ><((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ><(((((º>
    I keep water, last checked about 600 gallons worth.
    Problem is animals keep using it as there water closet.
    Worst of all the littlest ones keep using up all the supplies.

I would recommend using the Ro/DI.

RO/DI stands for Reverse Osmosis and Deionization.

Do I need a DI stage?

You can save some money by purchasing a three-stage filter lacking the DI stage. Reverse osmosis typically removes 90-98% of all the impurities of significance to the aquarist. If that is good enough for your needs, then you don't need the DI stage. The use of RO by itself is certainly better than plain tap water and, in many cases, is perfectly adequate.

RO by itself might not be adequate if your tap water contains something that you want to reduce by more than 90-98%. For example, if you have 10 PPM of phosphates in your tap water, reducing it by 90% takes it to 1 PPM, which is still too high.

If saving money up front is a major concern, a DI stage can be added later. ~Reefcentral.com

--- Take a look here for more Ro/Di Faq's
    http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/rodi-faq
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125

Welcome back!
    About the RO-DI just get a TDS meter and make your decision from there, what is going to be more expensive, In the long run, what makes more sense on this hobby
    55 Gl. non drilled, Mix reef, HOB protein skimmer, BRS bio Pellets reactor, 180W led.
    29 Gl. Biocube stock Mix reef
    75 Gl. Rimless drilled, Vertex IN250 protein skimmer, BRS Biopellet reactor in serie with carbon reactor, return Eheim 1262, 180 watts LED, 3 pump doser for A-B, strontium and magnesium
    Reef keeper eliteV2 Controler
    and feeding like crazy, no more low nutrients, yes to a high nutrients and explosive growth