Thread: Diving at Coral Restoration Foundation - FL Keys

OREO Club Member
    OREO President
    ORCA Forum Member

Diving at Coral Restoration Foundation - FL Keys

Hi Divers,

I am planning a group dive this summer to the Coral Restoration Foundation in the Keys and am trying to gauge interest. The CRF offer a two day dive program with morning instruction and two afternoon dives. There also offer PADI specialty course on Coral Restoration

I am looking at a choice of either of these two tentative weekends

28/29 June Sat/Sun
    12/13 July Sat/Sun

The approx cost depends on numbers, but CRF require between 8-20 divers . If we don't get these numbers we can also team up with other divers doing the same thing at the same time

$50 pp/day to CRF
    $70 + tax pp/day boat/2 tanks and weights to local dive shop Gratuity extra
    Rental gear $30 + tax p/day - local dive shop

Logistics are upto to you on getting there. Their address is Coral Restoration Foundation 5 Seagate Blvd Key Largo, FL 33037 -

Can you please let me know if you are interested and which dates could work for you. I would like to make a booking at the end of the month latest in order to secure dates. A 50% deposit would be required to hold the booking at that time

I have copied this exert from their website for info

One Day Program
    The One-Day Program is divided into a morning session and an afternoon session. A CRF staff member gives a lecture in the morning, outlining CRF’s mission, history, and objectives. Also included in the talk is an introduction to coral anatomy and conditions necessary for a healthy reef, as well as stressors causing current coral decline. The lecture concludes with a brief overview of the need for restoration efforts and the CRF procedure. The afternoon session consists of two dives: one on the nursery and one at an outplanting site. On the first dive, using the techniques illustrated in the morning lecture, divers will explore the nursery and prepare corals to be transported to a restoration site. The second dive takes place at the restoration site, where the divers plant the corals they previously prepared.

Two Day Program CRF’s
    Two-Day Program begins the same way as the one-day program with a lecture in the morning and dives in the afternoon. On the following day there is a restoration diving lecture and two subsequent restoration dives. Topics covered in the additional lecture include a comparison of CRF’s restoration techniques to those of other coral reef restoration programs. The lecture also goes into detail about the evolution of CRF’s current restoration techniques and the procedures used to measure and monitor the relative success of the outplanted corals.

PADI Distinctive Specialty In addition to the dive program,
    CRF offers two distinct PADI Distinctive Specialty Courses, available upon request. The Introduction to Coral Reef Restoration Diver specialty consists of two dives and compliments the one-day program. The Coral Reef Restoration Diver II specialty has a required four dives and can be done in combination with the two-day program. Group Size Due to the nature of the programs, CRF requests that dive groups contain no less than eight participants and no more than twenty. -

Mixed reef 180 gallon DT,Euroreef rs 250 skimmer, AI LED lights, 2 Sicce HP Voyager 8 power heads, 40 sump, 40g frag tank, 75g Display Tank

OREO Club Member
    OREO President
    ORCA Forum Member
    Max Huebler and Lloyd Huebler confirm interest for either dates
    Mixed reef 180 gallon DT,Euroreef rs 250 skimmer, AI LED lights, 2 Sicce HP Voyager 8 power heads, 40 sump, 40g frag tank, 75g Display Tank

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    I prefer the one in June 28/29 over July 12/13, in both weekends the FIFA World Cup has games scheduled, but the very finals are on July 12th and 13th.

What if it is after July 13th? the following weekend July 19/20th for example?

Now, on June 28th we have the ORCA meeting.

Man this is difficult.

I'll probably go depending on the date.
    Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2017

My 210g Journal

OREO Club Member
    OREO President
    ORCA Forum Member
    The 19/20 July could work CRF. Didn't think about the football

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    If it is July 19th and 20th count me in !!!
    Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2017

My 210g Journal

OREO Secretary
    ORCA Forum Member
    I like July 19/20. Me and misty are both interested. Just have to figure out watching the kids. So one defiantly. Two likely.
    ><((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ><(((((º>
    I keep water, last checked about 600 gallons worth.
    Problem is animals keep using it as there water closet.
    Worst of all the littlest ones keep using up all the supplies.

OREO Club Member
    OREO President
    ORCA Forum Member
    You can Dvr the soccer

OREO Club Member
    OREO President
    ORCA Forum Member
    Max and I cannot do 19th/20th July because of summer camp with the scouts..only weekend booked for the whole summer!

OREO Club Member
    OREO President
    ORCA Forum Member
    Is there no one else interested!

OREO Secretary
    ORCA Forum Member
    We had at least 8-12 interested late last year. And that was just those in attendance at the meeting!
    ><((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ><(((((º>
    I keep water, last checked about 600 gallons worth.
    Problem is animals keep using it as there water closet.
    Worst of all the littlest ones keep using up all the supplies.

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    Yes, we should be able to get at least 12 people, I know Chip and Jim were interested last year, the only problem is probably the dates, if we can open it to more days maybe more people will jump in now.
    It would be good to send a mass email to advertise this month's meeting and take that opportunity to tell everybody about this trip, I do not think everybody reads our forums that often.
    Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2017

My 210g Journal

OREO Club Member
    OREO President
    ORCA Forum Member
    Over 900 views and only 3-4 people interested.

Please let me know if its the dates that are the problem. Sorry cannot do much about the cost