Thread: My tank almost crash during thanksgiving week

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member

My tank almost crash during thanksgiving week

I went to Colombia for thanksgiving and while I was out my tank almost crash.

One of the lights, well... its switch really, tripped the GFI and with it the rest of lights, return pump and circulation pumps, everything was turned off due to no power.

I have two dedicated power lines from the breaker box and somehow both lines suffered the same, two different GFIs, very weird, anyway..
    This happened between Saturday afternoon to Sunday night, one or two days after we left on Friday Nov. 22nd. On Sunday night when I was trying to see how the tank was doing the controller was not responding, at that time I switched to my web camera and saw the tank was dark with no lights, uuuhhhmmm

At that time I called my next door neighbor who was taking care of dog and asked her to check the tank while I was watching the video stream from the web cam.

She was able to reset the GFI which was controlling the pumps, all the pumps and the controller started with no problem, but the lights, every time she tried to reset the GFI the lights tripped the GFI again so I asked her to leave it off while I was out one more full week.

All the fishes were dead, she pulled 14 dead fishes from the tank and she said there were no fishes left, crabs and snails were doing fine as well as the corals.

Yesterday night when I came back I was able to isolate the light fixture which was causing the GFI to be tripped and now I'm only running two LED fixtures instead of 3, some of the corals were bleached, some of the Zenias disappeared, the RBTAs were at the top of the tank, but doing fine and the overall tank was looking fine.
    This morning I realized one of fishes survived, a cardinal fish and so far that's the only fish I've seen, my cardinal "The Survivor".
    Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2017

My 210g Journal

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    I lost :
    4 clown fishes
    1 Yellow tang
    2 firefish
    1 Bicolor Angelfish
    1 Diamond goby
    1 Cardinal fish, the other one survived, I had two of them
    3 Anthias
    1 Neon Dottyback.
    Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2017

My 210g Journal

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

Sorry to hear about the loss and almost crash or partial crash. It sounds like it could have been a whole lot worse. Thankfully the neighbor was able to get the circulation going again. What was/is wrong with the light fixture?
    David Hill
    OREO VP 2017-2018
    OREO President 2015-2016
    ORCA President 2014-2016
    ORCA Secretary 2011-2013

OREO Club Member
    OREO President
    ORCA Forum Member
    I so sorry to hear of your loss, it saddens me when I lose just one fish. If there is anything we can do please let us know
    Mixed reef 180 gallon DT,Euroreef rs 250 skimmer, AI LED lights, 2 Sicce HP Voyager 8 power heads, 40 sump, 40g frag tank, 75g Display Tank

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    The tank is doing fine I will re-stock the fishes I lost with time.
    Hopefully Iggy has some of his baby clowns still available, I want some of those to replace my perculas.

The good thing is that the RBTAs moved to a place where I can easily catch them so I'll be selling on of them, I have 3.
    Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2017

My 210g Journal

Man I am sorry to hear that. Your tank was awesome looking.
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125

ORCA Forum Member
    Sorry brother...

****, so sorry to hear that cesar if I can help u with anything please let me know

OREO Secretary
    ORCA Forum Member
    Oh noooooo

At least you had the controller and cam to be able to phone for help. Sorry to hear.
    ><((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ><(((((º>
    I keep water, last checked about 600 gallons worth.
    Problem is animals keep using it as there water closet.
    Worst of all the littlest ones keep using up all the supplies.

Sorry to hear about this. Thankfully, you had a neighbor who was able to get most of this back online to the best of their ability until you came home.

ORCA/OREO Club Sponsor
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member

Sorry about the loss. It always seems that disaster hits our tanks when we are away. Hopefully one of our sponsors is having a Black fish sale so you can get some new ones.

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smpolyp View Post
    Sorry about the loss. It always seems that disaster hits our tanks when we are away. Hopefully one of our sponsors is having a Black fish sale so you can get some new ones.
    Yeap, that's what I'm expecting this Saturday on Oceans direct, we'll see
    Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2017

My 210g Journal

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smpolyp View Post
    This is the first time it happened to me, and yes it happened when I was away... and really far away to do something quick... Morphy's law
    Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2017

My 210g Journal

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

Ahh so sorry bud.. if you have the type of GFI outlets that fit in at the typical electric outlet like what is in our bathrooms and such they make a weather resistant tamper resistant 20 version at home depo that looks the same as the usual one but i have yet to every have one fail unless it was a real issue with the power into water or a totally fried motor or something. much more reliable than the usual 13 $ ones. twice as expensive maybe, but far better and holds up to salt water much better. Even better yet is the actual breaker ones that go in the panel box and are part of the actual Breaker.

They all fall victim to failures if you try n run the types of motors/compressors like refrigerators have "in a fridge in the garage type scenario" very often. so be carefull with that as well. everyone i do not plug in refrigerators into gfi protected outlets in garages. THEY WILL TRIP THE BREAKER EVENTUALLY! and you have stinky NASTY in the fridge.. I promise, i have dealt with a dozen times in different places over the years. But never on a above listed 20 amp weather resistant type GFI or gfi breaker in the panel yet. so I feel they are more safe/ reliable….

The regular one we all have in our kitchen n baths, i keep one in my truck and change them weekly at jobs sites due to issues. They mess up all the time. some times stuck on, sometimes off, sometime random issues. or don't reset right.
    Four individual systems Right now.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.
    A 200 gallon MARS quarintine with UV system/ medication for new arrivals.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!