Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim28fl's current personal SW project pics.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

Jim28fl's current personal SW project pics.

I figured I'd attempt to post some current pics of the 1 month old nuvo 16 lit with a radion xr30 and flow provided by to mp10'ws. Im finding my personal interest level before I go full scale on this hobby. Im also on the camera learning curve sorry for the quality.
    IMG_2680.jpgIMG_2671.jpgIMG_2678.jpgIMG_2685.jpgIMG_2686.jpg
    Four individual systems Right now.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.
    A 200 gallon MARS quarintine with UV system/ medication for new arrivals.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!

Cool. Didn't know you have set one up already. Looks good.

Looks like you got some established rock so imagine it's pretty stable system already.

I've yet to see any coraline algae in mine Few frags have it, but will take forever. I really need to get a ziplock bag full of shavings of it and spread it everywhere lol

ORCA Forum Member
    Pfft...i still have yet to concur a tank without algae...:-/

Every time i get rid of it, I do something to spike it again, lol.

Corals don't seem to mind too much and still have great color.

coraline algae, not just any algae. Normal I have a sump full of lol

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

The established rock makes all the difference. It makes this look way better than it really is. I just so happen to have large barrels great for making all the rock you could ever use. lol and i still want to get that pallet of marco rock too. Great rock makes all the difference. Its just so expensive and can come with so many bad critters its scary to just go buy some. I'm trying to make as much of the stuff as i can from these starter rocks. They are as critter free as i think someone can get. I have a separate batch from what now is mixed into the tank here which could now host critters since there is LFS coral n fish in there. I keep the customers rocks n other related stuff totally separate to prevent cross contamination. These rocks are 9 yrs old and several years since anything new was introduced into the system. "no critters". It will take some time to get rock to look that way in a barrel or even in a tank. I have a second Radion to set up over the barrel and rock as soon as i get initiative n time. Im kinda into this scuba thing and then there is the lil man. Poor kid stuck out an hour in the LFS as i tried to pick out which rock flower I wanted...... I think i have the BUG....
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

Some of the frags are from customers tank, and I think top shelf has one more tribal blenny. He is a really cool fish I love him so far, great small tank reef safe fish. No pics of him out n about yet. So far the system is stable. All the tests are holding up, I'm noticing the Ph seems to drop fast "probably C02 related, there is no skimmer to aerate the water" and not recover the next day when the lights are on so im dosing balance to keep that up other wise its going smoothly. Change/clean the polypre filters every day. Pretty simple setup. Easy to do water changes lol. Still using the TM salt. I'm about to go over to my IO salt n see what happens. Any ideas why the ph drops and doesn't recover? I max out at 8.20 and drop to 7.75 over night then never get over 7.90 without a dose of "sea chem Balance" at lunchtime to get back to 8.20. There is no significant air stirred up anywhere in the filter system. Only the water surface movement can help the exchange as of now.
    IMG_2673.jpgIMG_2674.jpgIMG_2677.jpgIMG_2679.jpg
    40 softies set up.

Jim, just set up a tank and go for it, if you could do such fine job in fresh water, i really not sure what is stoping you, or been woory of a bit of fluctuation on a 16 gallon tank, The moment has come, Set up you big tank, we can do a set up metting at your house, will help with the wifw issue is there is any
    just my 2 cents
    55 Gl. non drilled, Mix reef, HOB protein skimmer, BRS bio Pellets reactor, 180W led.
    29 Gl. Biocube stock Mix reef
    75 Gl. Rimless drilled, Vertex IN250 protein skimmer, BRS Biopellet reactor in serie with carbon reactor, return Eheim 1262, 180 watts LED, 3 pump doser for A-B, strontium and magnesium
    Reef keeper eliteV2 Controler
    and feeding like crazy, no more low nutrients, yes to a high nutrients and explosive growth

great job Jim I say you go full scale now and get like a 500 gal tank

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

A lil update of the nuvo pretty much stocked but still moving things around to where i want them to colonize before I final glue. The birds nest is melting away week to week. But everything else is good. the candy cane is pretty crapy too but he was in bad shape when i got him. I figure he will regrow at some point.
    IMG_2712.jpgIMG_2713.jpgIMG_2714.jpgIMG_2715.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    40 softies set up.

Dendro looks good That's a tiny frag for birds nest! Those shrooms from my tank I see here and there? I finally decided it wasn't worth keeping them in the 40b (kept finding random ones under rock work trying to attach) and moved then in the dark 20g with curing rubble, they seem happy lol extending towards sunlight from the window ><

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

40 softies set up.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

40 softies set up.

looking pretty good jim

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

This is way over due but I'm motivated to take pictures since the frag event.. so here are some shots of the tank. didn't try real hard just snapped a few for folks to see.
    The red sea 130 is very manageable and is my quarantine tank usually.. you will notice some frags from last nights auction in there.

The frag tank which shares the filtration with the Rs 250 I won at the Reefers direct meeting is being put to good use.

If you step back the set up looks like this on the wall with a small fridge in the middle for the foods n such.

40 softies set up.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

Some shots of the goodies include

40 softies set up.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

40 softies set up.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

One last interesting thing. I grabbed a set of those red glasses and too a quick shot with the iPhone thru them of the tank and it came out pretty cool i may work on that idea a bit more. the go pro has the dive lens color correctors on them that really would make the colors pop i imagine. I have another idea as well but I'm not saying.. ill try it first..

40 softies set up.

ORCA Forum Member Xtremeclownfish's Avatar
    Sweet Lookin, also like that 65 gallon

ORCA Forum Member
    Tanks are looking good.

nice job jim