Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In Wall 125 Gallon

Battling high PH. Currently at 8.85 and goes up to 9 in the day. Been that way for about a week now. Im trying to force air in it as much as I can right now to see if that will help introduce some CO2 into the tank. If not I will have to figure out other ways.

If you have any suggestions let me know.
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

You sure your probe/ how ever your measuring that/ is reading that accurately? Thats crazy high i never head of a reef tank over 8.55 unless something was dosing it over that like kalkwasser or 2 part. Less water movement/ stop protein skimming during the day may hold it down. test a known source like 7.0 or 10.0 solution and compare to your tank. thats crazy.

Water change with non reef spec salt like instant ocean regular salt, should help bring down the PH i think.
    Four individual systems Right now.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.
    A 200 gallon MARS quarintine with UV system/ medication for new arrivals.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by philip_r5 View Post
    Battling high PH. Currently at 8.85 and goes up to 9 in the day. Been that way for about a week now. Im trying to force air in it as much as I can right now to see if that will help introduce some CO2 into the tank. If not I will have to figure out other ways.

If you have any suggestions let me know.
    Recalibrate the probe, or test the PH with a test kit for PH, it shouldn't be that high.
    Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2017

My 210g Journal

Yeah, I figured being new not even a month ago it would have been fine.... Apparently I was wrong. Good thing I did buy calibration fluid. I have the Aqua Controller III as well and the calibration requires two different ph's to calibrate. Good thing I have an old American Marine PinPoint PH Monitor.

Its happily at 8.19 now.

Now its time to calibrate my new Salinity Probe as well.....

Thanks for bringing that to my attention to get me to test it
    Last edited by philip_r5; 05-10-2014 at 05:49 PM.
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

My In-Wall 125

Now I am baffled. I bought the American Marine PinPoint Salinity Monitor. Used the calibration fluid set it and now its saying my tank is at 1.021. However, Using my two different Refractometer's they say 1.024.... Argggg which to believe.
    Last edited by philip_r5; 05-10-2014 at 05:48 PM.

My In-Wall 125

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    Now I am baffled. I bought the American Marine PinPoint Salinity Monitor. Used the calibration fluid set it and now its saying my tank is at 1.021. However, Using my two different Refractometer's they say 1.024.... Argggg which to believe.
    Trust your senses, use your tongue
    Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2017

My 210g Journal

lol i do do that ever now and then :p but I want whats best

My In-Wall 125

OREO Secretary
    ORCA Forum Member

In Wall 125 Gallon

No personal experiences. But I have heard many having difficulty in with many of the lhobby probes. Other than ph. But including salinity.
    ><((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ><(((((º>
    I keep water, last checked about 600 gallons worth.
    Problem is animals keep using it as there water closet.
    Worst of all the littlest ones keep using up all the supplies.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

Your conductivity probe needs to be done with water @ same temp as the refractometer and tank say 77. so get the calibration fluid to 77 then use them both. I used a calibration fluid at 77 degrees to check my refractometer which was very close and then to calibrate my probe. Both were close actually but i check them every few months. the key is 77 degree water/ and same test water both probes. if its like in the garage or something it will be way off. same goes for bringing in new salt water it has to be calibrated adjusted at 77 degrees. if its like 1.024 at 50 degrees or like 100 from the garage it will be way off.

also note there is temperature compensation on the probe readers sometimes, IE APEX systems, which i disable BTW, which can throw a wrench into things. always work from correct temp, then salinity, then calcium, then ALK, then MAG, then PH. If you wanna be able to adjust your tank perimeters effectively, you must get them correct in that order. As each one effects the next one in the line somehow. and does so the most in that order. But other orders do show changes as well most commonly the Calcium and the ALK change each other and are hardest to keep balanced usually. and hence the water change to get a partial fresh start each time. I had a great read on the complexity of that somewhere. should look that up.

As salinity goes up so does the ability to hold more Calcium and ALK in the solution.
    Four individual systems Right now.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.
    A 200 gallon MARS quarintine with UV system/ medication for new arrivals.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!

So, I was looking at tank today and noticed something that has scared me . I decided to take some close ups of critters on the glass and ran into something I believe that is bad. Im thinking it is flatworm but im not 100% . It measures maybe 1/10th of a millimeter right now. It is very very small. The pictures are probably 150x + zoomed. Take a look at the pics tell me what you think.

My In-Wall 125

Various pods and little flatworms, but those aren't bad and will probably go away as nutrients drop.

Hope so , I would be very upset if I got any

Thanks

My In-Wall 125

Icon5 Skimmer Advice?

So, I am in need of a new skimmer for the tank. It will have a total of 150 gallons going thru it in total. Im using the Vegas, will have refugium on it, and I feed heavy.

What do you recommend? Please keep in mind I don't want to spend over $400. Thanks

My In-Wall 125

Not a recommendation perhaps, but I do have SRO 2000 cone skimmer for sale for $250 Can see it at http://www.o-r-c-a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21480 . Haven't used it in a while, but all works, tested it recently in saltwater to see if it makes bubbles and stuff heh. Impeller was replaced after I took it down from my system before I put it for sale, although so far that seems like a waste of $75 lol.

So, I am in need of a new skimmer for the tank. It will have a total of 150 gallons going thru it in total. Im using the Vegas, will have refugium on it, and I feed heavy.

What do you recommend? Please keep in mind I don't want to spend over $400. Thanks
    I would recommend a SRO. It looks like Michael has a deal on one that fits your budget!

I might have to take you up on that offer how old is it?

My In-Wall 125

Around two years. Impeller I've replaced before putting it up for sale, so that part is brand new, was like $75 just for that heh.

Newest Upgrade / Update

So I decided to take Michael up on the offer, and now have an upgraded skimmer. Its the xp2000 reef octo. I must say im impressed with it already and its only been in there for 2 hours now.

The micro-bubbles it produces is crazy .

Stand I made to have it in 6.25inch of water, middle point of where everyone says they keep theirs.

Up close so you can see the bubbles :p

My In-Wall 125

Getting upset. My coral doesn't seem to be happy, and my snails are falling on their backs with no signs of life....

Parameters are as follows:

Temp: 77.6
    Salinity: 1.025
    Ph:7.93 (Trying to raise)
    Alk: 11.3 DKH
    Ammonia: 0-.05
    Nitrite:0
    Nitrate:0.25tops
    Phosphate: 0
    CA: 440
    Mag:1200

What do you guys suggest I look at ?

My In-Wall 125

What type of corals sps,lps or softies.