Thread: Good dive shops in the Kissimme area?

ORCA Forum Member

Good dive shops in the Kissimme area?

Hey all, looking to get some gear. I know ebay is pretty good but if you all might know of a customer service oriented dive shop, please let me know.
    Also, PADI, NAUI or SSI? I'm looking to get qualified, and don't really know the civilian dive certs, plus I don't want a cert to hamper me attending a reconstruction trip.
    Any hints and tips would be great! Thanks.
    Tim

ORCA Forum Member
    Diver's Direct is on I-Drive.

I'm PADI certified but during our dive trip last year we had some NAUI and SSI divers too. I also dove with a friend who has a European cert which was weird because he used the metric system (no psi) but our hand signals were close enough that he made a good dive buddy. Point being, I think you're good with any cert you work for until you get into technical diving. Last thing, if you're planning on getting certified I think the user 'Chip' is a dive master and is running classes for ORCA members.

I use to teach at Kissimmee Professional Dive Center. They closed years back. CJ worked there and he opened Dive Shop Kissimmee http://DiveShopKissimmee.com . I'm an instructor with PADI, TDI, IDA, DAN and IANTD. I'm going to start another class at the next ORCA meeting if anyone is interested? PM me for details and I will bring a crew pack to the meeting for you, so you can get started. We need a minimum of 4 to start a class. Were going to Lake Denton for open water training dives on the same day. I'm hoping we finish at least 2 hours prior to the meeting, so we can be there on time.

A couple of good dive shops in the Orlando are are The Dive Station and Dayo Scuba. I know the owner's of both. Were getting together for dinner Tuesday night. They are customer oriented dive shops.

I can get you a discount on your basic setup (mask, snorkel, booties and fins) from the store during the class. I will also give you another discount if you buy the gear from the shop when you take the class. The shop also sells gear packages (BCD, regulators, computers, SPG ...).

ORCA Forum Member
    Thanks for the replys. I stopped in to Scuba Quest on Friday talked with them for a bit, seemed like a nice shop. I did check out Dive Shop Kissimmee and was there at 1030am and the place was locked up tight, not sure why.
    The one time I go out of state and its this weekend.
    Chip I'm ready to go once you start you're next course.

ORCA Forum Member
    Please be slow when you make your purchases as I have seen many a new diver get taken for a ride at dive shops. THe latest and the greatest is fantastic if you budget allows but there is a lot of solid state, dependable, safe gear out there for a reasonable price.

buying gear from a local shop will allow you build a relationship witch is great when you need those last minute fills on your tanks or want to grab some rentals a bit after hours.

If you are going to only dive a few trips a year consider renting as this will ensure that your gear is recently serviced and ready to go! Lots of great equipment gets hung in the garage and forgotten, then when you are ready to go for a trip you have dryrotted seals and o-rings. Also renting allows you to try stuff out and see wht you like /dont like.

Quote Originally Posted by Picstr View Post
    Thanks for the replys. Chip I'm ready to go once you start you're next course.
    I'm going to start the next class Saturday night at the meeting. I will bring you an Open Water Diver DVD crew pack.

I did check out Dive Shop Kissimmee and was there at 1030am and the place was locked up tight, not sure why.
    Did you check their store hours? Here's what they have posted on their website:
    Hours Of Operation
    Monday - Friday 9:00am - 7:00pm
    Saturday 9:00am - 5:00pm
    Sunday Closed

I agree with like-fish. You want to make sure you buy quality dive gear and you need to know what you are buying. We talk about all the gear that you need in the class. You don't need any gear before we meet.

The one time I go out of state and its this weekend.
    I'm sorry you're going to miss the meeting this weekend! I can get a DVD kit for you Tuesday night and you can stop by my house to pickup it up. I live a couple of miles away from World Wide Corals. Please PM me your email address.