Thread: I like to take an informal count for who wants marco rock dry rock.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

I like to take an informal count for who wants marco rock dry rock.

Im considering ordering a pallet of 1100 lbs of dry rock from marco rock in south florida. Im not sure they will let me get a truck full from their facility and discount me the shipping they charge but dont see why not. Thing is I dont need 1100lbs. But its much cheaper that way. I do have the barrels to start curing some in and the pumps to stir them. So who wants how many lbs of dry rock from the crate. I want 300 lbs the rest i will sell or cure/ tinker with. I do have the ability to cut the pieces into shelf type sizes and could bring the rock and cutting materials to the next meeting like a little diy I guess. Whats your thoughts. If demand got high enough i could get two pallets in my truck and that would only cost me the second crate and the diesel will not add up to anything extra for the weight. They would likely come down even more on a second crate. But thats 2200 lbs of rocks. Ill sell the rock and cost likely around $1.75 a pound ish i figure after fuel. They were the guys at coral con with the rocks up front if anyone remembers. There sort of hard to search on the net, alot of imitation sites.
    Four individual systems Right now.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.
    A 200 gallon MARS quarintine with UV system/ medication for new arrivals.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!

Month ago maybe I would've gone for more, but as of now I could probably take a couple of rocks (maybe 30lbs of so) mainly to break apart and use them as frag plugs of sorts for both growing out and placing in the display tank.

That's how I did it last time. Glue coral to a small rock outside of the tank and then glue that rock or even place it somewhere in the tank. That way you don't have out of place discs all over

I could use 55 lbs for a QT.

I would take 100lb.
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

Im going to add that the marco rocks i got from world wide colars after close inspection are some sort of man made reef rock that appears very much like reef rock but more open of a structure. i did an acid bath and it went as expected more clean actually nothing really came off. it does not look exactly like real stuff and maybe after closer inspection would clash in any persons system that was not totally marco rocks. With this in consideration i may do my whole setup with this rock but i will investigate real stuff a bit more first for pros n cons. I suspect they make it with aragonite in the mix. I could call and ask these questions but im not even sure what all questions i would ask at this point so im getting my ducks in a row. There is a wide range in size n shape of this stuff in the crate. There is a place on each as if it was made/sprayed on a rope or rebar then removed from said bar after it was dry. There are a few shells in it as well.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

I thought they said the Marco Rock was from an ancient reef down around Florida somewhere.
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

My In-Wall 125

Here's what I found from a Google search:
    "Marco rocks is a company that sells dry rock, not a type of rock. They sell rock that is native to south fl and is mined from various quarries."
    http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...rco-rocks.html

It is what I have in my tank.

My In-Wall 125

The WWC, premium Rock, is painted, comes from California, and is 100% man made, you can see it on the next door where they cure most of it, it has a nice looking color, and has been use in several comercial aquariums to achieve better presentation with out time
    is also $8.90 a lb.

Sent from my iPhone because I am not home with my fishes
    55 Gl. non drilled, Mix reef, HOB protein skimmer, BRS bio Pellets reactor, 180W led.
    29 Gl. Biocube stock Mix reef
    75 Gl. Rimless drilled, Vertex IN250 protein skimmer, BRS Biopellet reactor in serie with carbon reactor, return Eheim 1262, 180 watts LED, 3 pump doser for A-B, strontium and magnesium
    Reef keeper eliteV2 Controler
    and feeding like crazy, no more low nutrients, yes to a high nutrients and explosive growth

ORCA Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by philip_r5 View Post
    I thought they said the Marco Rock was from an ancient reef down around Florida somewhere.
    Isn't all of Florida an ancient reef?

Yes, Florida was underwater.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

What i got from WWC was in a crate labeled marco rocks and 2$ something a pound. It appears to me the same as what was at coral con up front in the crate. As best i can tell is something that is not from a reef off shore somewhere "I have never been in the ocean and witnessed rocks that were not covered in live coral for comparison. It appears something thats a cross of salt rock and a mix sprayed onto a rod from a distance somehow maybe then broken up and washed down to look like random reef rock. Im not exactly sure what its made of but you do see misc shells in it and then mortor mix ect around it and its very open pore product. At this point im not ordering anything till I understand better what it is im getting. Its not that it looks bad, it just looks different. Could be its quarried from under the ground maybe.
    40 softies set up.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

So after some research I guess all current reef rock is "fake" rock. None of it comes from the ocean. It may have touched ocean water at some point but thats about it. So back to I wrote an email to marco rocks to ask what my cost is if I pick up a full pallet or two. I'll update the post when I hear back. Not sure how its made or from what but doesn't look like I have a choice in the matter. I will immediately start cycling some with acid then into a SW barrel for someone who just wants to drop it into a tank after they get a piece or two but the rest I will let folks just sort thru n grab what they want and weigh it. For now its just 1100 lbs im getting unless the numbers dont add up.
    40 softies set up.

Wonder how it would compare to pukani rock price wise. I really love what I got, very porous and same weight would be likely much larger volume overall, so don't need say 120lbs for 120 tank etc.

Maybe BRS would do some sort of bulk discounts to make it worth it vs macro rock?

when you do a group buy from BRS
    you become a prefer member, and you get around 15 - 30% discount
    I done it a couple of times so I get the discount, comes very handy when you need several things from there

Sent from my iPhone because I am not home with my fishes
    55 Gl. non drilled, Mix reef, HOB protein skimmer, BRS bio Pellets reactor, 180W led.
    29 Gl. Biocube stock Mix reef
    75 Gl. Rimless drilled, Vertex IN250 protein skimmer, BRS Biopellet reactor in serie with carbon reactor, return Eheim 1262, 180 watts LED, 3 pump doser for A-B, strontium and magnesium
    Reef keeper eliteV2 Controler
    and feeding like crazy, no more low nutrients, yes to a high nutrients and explosive growth

OREO Secretary
    ORCA Forum Member

I like my pukani. Got big ones. Lots of volume per pound. Lighter than Marco. Being mined from old south fl reefs it was fairly solid at one point. Dig a hole down there 3 feet anywhere and you hit limestone. I assume marco has to blast it to open it up.
    ><((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ><(((((º>
    I keep water, last checked about 600 gallons worth.
    Problem is animals keep using it as there water closet.
    Worst of all the littlest ones keep using up all the supplies.

ORCA Forum Member
    It's called sponge rock and lace rock. It should be in the range of thirty cents per pound according to a guy at Pebble Junction. Unfortunately, they won't order it.

When I was in Miami on a fishing trip, everyone used it as landscaping rock. I have been wanting to go back down there to try to find a place like Pebble Junction. I found these guys recently http://www.berniesrockandgarden.com/...48/5159254.htm