Thread: Protein Skimmers i am in need of one for a 90 gallon aggresive tank setup

ORCA Forum Member

Protein Skimmers i am in need of one for a 90 gallon aggresive tank setup

Im looking for reccomendations as to what brand each of you like and why and or why not . I have looked at sevral brands but would like to hear of some info first hand from people using them. This will be going on a 90 gallon tank with a fairly heavy load.

ORCA Forum Member
    I did a ton of research and my vote is Super Reef Octopus...Nothing but good things at a good price. I just bought one myself.

What is your allowable price for a skimmer? Id say a cone skimmer . Super Reef Octopus or an ASM G1X .

Tip: Auto Top Off to maintain water level in sump
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125

Protein Skimmers i am in need of one for a 90 gallon aggresive tank setup

I run a Vertex, and is very good, but I also know how good is the super reef octopus!

Sent from my iPhone because I am not home with my fishes
    55 Gl. non drilled, Mix reef, HOB protein skimmer, BRS bio Pellets reactor, 180W led.
    29 Gl. Biocube stock Mix reef
    75 Gl. Rimless drilled, Vertex IN250 protein skimmer, BRS Biopellet reactor in serie with carbon reactor, return Eheim 1262, 180 watts LED, 3 pump doser for A-B, strontium and magnesium
    Reef keeper eliteV2 Controler
    and feeding like crazy, no more low nutrients, yes to a high nutrients and explosive growth

ORCA Forum Member
    Don't know the difference between the Super or regular Reef Octopus, but I love my Reef Octopus and love the way it pulls the gunk out.

Dont have to be nice about it use the real word ( $h!t ) out of it..... lol
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125

ORCA Forum Member
    The skimmer you saw at my house during the meeting was a Super Reef Octopus, and I recommend that. They make a full cone version also, which is a little more expensive, but is slightly more efficient (theoretically).
    Aaron

Current Tank: 40g Breeder

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

I would have a look at Lifereef's products. Jeff has been building skimmers for 29 yrs and no one has a bad word to say about them. Life time warranty on his stuff as well. I think fair priced as well. Thats my next skimmer for sure, comes with a sump package i ordered for july delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim28fl View Post
    I would have a look at Lifereef's products. Jeff has been building skimmers for 29 yrs and no one has a bad word to say about them. Life time warranty on his stuff as well. I think fair priced as well. Thats my next skimmer for sure, comes with a sump package i ordered for july delivery.
    I just look the page, that look awsome, I wish I have seen this before, 100% USA made
    55 Gl. non drilled, Mix reef, HOB protein skimmer, BRS bio Pellets reactor, 180W led.
    29 Gl. Biocube stock Mix reef
    75 Gl. Rimless drilled, Vertex IN250 protein skimmer, BRS Biopellet reactor in serie with carbon reactor, return Eheim 1262, 180 watts LED, 3 pump doser for A-B, strontium and magnesium
    Reef keeper eliteV2 Controler
    and feeding like crazy, no more low nutrients, yes to a high nutrients and explosive growth

ORCA Forum Member
    I would check out the SROXP2000 for a 90G. Just saying...