Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I take good pictures of my reef tank???

ORCA Forum Member

Taking Better Pictures.

In an effort to improve my picture taking abilities I have been playing around a lot lately with shutter speed, ISO, etc to try and get the best natural color possible.

I thought it would help me get better by finding out what and how everyone else takes pictures.

So lets see some corals shots WITH the picture settings attached. Here are some I recently shot. Let me know what you think.

ISO: 400
    Exposure: 1/30 sec
    Aperture: 5.6
    Focal Length: 55mm
    Flash Used: No

Exposure: 1/60 sec
    Aperture: 8.0

Exposure: 1/40 sec

Aperture: 7.1
    Flash Used: Yes

Aperture: 6.3

Exposure: 1/30 sec

ORCA Forum Member

pics

These pics are obviously photo shopped! You must be using a very special lense that cuts out all the Bubble Algae. I thought you were going to post pics of your Bubble Algae frags that you give out!

ORCA Forum Member
    You need to take pictures of my tank for me. All my pictures look blue. Still can't find a way to change the white balance enough to look normal. I can change it slightly, but still looks way too blue.
    -Sara

ORCA Forum Member

Re: pics

Quote Originally Posted by KeysReefer
    These pics are obviously photo shopped! You must be using a very special lense that cuts out all the Bubble Algae. I thought you were going to post pics of your Bubble Algae frags that you give out!
    NO NO, there you go again, all confused!!! I save all those for you!! In fact I moved some over to see if the "bubble algea" could help save those dying frags you brought me to try and save! But, Sadly I don't think there is any hope!

ORCA Forum Member

pics

You should post pics of the ones I gave you.....see if anyone can identify the carcass!

ORCA Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seafansar
    You need to take pictures of my tank for me. All my pictures look blue. Still can't find a way to change the white balance enough to look normal. I can change it slightly, but still looks way too blue.
    You give me the secrets to growing those awesome SPS pieces of yours and I will take your pictures.. lol.

To help me kinda figure it out I took a single frag and put in on the sand bed a few inches into the tank set the camera on a stand and took the same shot over and over... and over.. and over.. you get the idea. It certainly does not stay the same but 400 seems to be my camera's sweet spot.

I just purchased a Nikon D70s and plan on the same experimentation.

I bought a "How To" video and it goes into detail about all the manual setting option of the camera. I am looking forward to see what I can do.

Are you using a standard 55mm lens or a Macro lens?

TANKSALOT
    aka - Steve
    TANKSALOT
    aka - Steve
    Palm Bay, Florida

Member of:
    Space Coast Reef Club
    Reef2Reef

Well shutter speed and aperture should be set according to your light meter.

Shutter speed - You want to keep faster than 1/Focal length so for 50mm would be 1/50th of a second shutter speed etc if you are shooting hand held. going slower you will want to maybe lean on something or use a tripod. Another thing to think about would be how fast are your corals moving around, higher speed to freeze frame it better, though you won't need to go that fast to get good results in most situations.

Aperture - biggest effect from that is how much stuff will be in focus. If say want just one polyp to be in focus and everything behind to be blurry open up to 1.8 or whatever biggest aperture is. from there the more you close it more things behind that polyp will be in focus.

So as long as you dont go too slow of a shutter speed and align aperture correctly with it using light meter you should get good pictures, that are both not blurry and properly exposed.

ISO is basically how sensitive film or digital sensor thingy whatever its called will be to the light. higher will make it more sensitive and allow you to capture images in lower light but I'd stay at 400. higher you go more noise you will have in the picture. Could try going lower to 100 or something and seeing if you are able to take pictures with fast enough shutter speed still.

Thats about it for what i know. I have film camera myself so dont know much about other things in digital ones . but one thing you might want to consider is shooting in RAW format instead of jpeg for better quality shots that you can convert later to jpegs in photoshop.

Hopefully some of this is helpful heh

Thanks Michael!

Yes, a lot of what you explained is what the video was covering. They too recommended RAW.

I was a film guy back in the 70's & 80's. Even developed my own black and white prints. But with digital the days of stop bath and such are a thing of the past for me

I almost always used 400 speed film. 100 or 200 for very still shots and 1200 when I was at an event with plenty of light and fast action.

You stirred a few memories

TANKSALOT
    aka - Steve
    TANKSALOT
    aka - Steve
    Palm Bay, Florida

Member of:
    Space Coast Reef Club
    Reef2Reef

Yeah I'm taking photo class at SCC atm. doing b&w prints n stuff there

ORCA Forum Member
    Steve, yes I am using 55~200mm lens that came with the camera, its a D5000. I have been looking at picking up a 90 or 100mm macro lens, but just have not found the right deal yet. They are pricey!!

Photo class does not sound like a bad idea, im sure you could learn a lot that way for sure.

Lets see some shots!!!

I am looking for the 60mm Nikon-Micro lens.
    Best I have found is with a film camera for $300
    Or as a buy it know for $325

But that is next months budget

Southern Photo here in Melbourne does a class on the Nikon's. I may check into the cost of that. Just might learn something

TANKSALOT
    aka - Steve
    TANKSALOT
    aka - Steve
    Palm Bay, Florida

Member of:
    Space Coast Reef Club
    Reef2Reef

SamTHorn
    Great pictures. I've been trying for years to get those type of results. Thanks for the tips.

~ Sam
    cancun all inclusive

I love those great shots. Thanks for sharing. I wish I could make my pictures turn out like that.

Cheers

Jordan.

practice, practice, practice and pay attention to your settings when you compare exposures. I have shot right over 3150 exposures with the camera I got 17 months ago. That is what I attribute my success to, more than anything else.
    2009, 2010*and 2011 ORCA Mentoring Director. Proud to serve on the Board of Directors.
    (and I have no idea where the asterisk is coming from....)

ORCA Forum Member
    I have see the photographs. Such an accurate clarity. I am really appreciated about your sea collection.

ORCA Forum Member
    I guess with taking better pictures, you really do not have a set of specific setup that would work for all situations, that is why, you have to be familiar with it so you could get to the proper options as fast as you can in between shots.

That is why an slr or a dslr isn't for everyone. It has been a common sight to see with people having that camera strapped on their necks but are only set to automatic.

OREO Secretary
    ORCA Forum Member
    +1

To me photography is a blend of tech understanding of light and your camera, artistic talent ( don't think can be taught), and spray and pray.
    ><((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ><(((((º>
    I keep water, last checked about 600 gallons worth.
    Problem is animals keep using it as there water closet.
    Worst of all the littlest ones keep using up all the supplies.

How can I take good pictures of my reef tank???

This article is pulled from ReefTools.com

I wanted to write a tutorial about taking beautiful pictures of reef tanks. Let me start by saying that it’s not as hard as some people make it out to be. Nowadays, cameras have come so far, that you can take wonderful pictures of your reef tank and it’s inhabitants, even with a point and shoot camera. I also want to say up front, that in today’s age of digital photography, my first advice for taking better pictures is TAKE MORE PICTURES. You don’t have to wait for these to develop or printed, and you can check them and shoot again all day long; so shoot away. Ok, we’ll start with some basic photography concepts.
    The goal of a good photographer is to achieve good exposure. Exposure is a product of 3 main factors: shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. These components determine how much light is getting to the film (in traditional cameras) or sensor (in digital cameras). Good exposure is achieved when the desired amount of light hits the film/sensor. Let’s look at each components individually first, and then we will look at how they interact with each other.

Shutter Speed
    Shutter speed simply refers to the amount of time the camera’s shutter stays open when you take a picture. Depending on your camera, shutter speed can vary from a thousandth or a second to a few minutes. The longer the shutter stays open, the more light hits the film/sensor. A shutter speed of 1 second lets in twice the amount of light as would a 1/2 second shutter speed. Shutter speed may also effect the sharpness of a photo, especially when a camera is hand-held, or the subject (ex. fish) is moving. Your fish, for example, don’t exactly wait for you to take the picture. If your shutter is open for a whole second, it will record the fish’s movement and you will get a blurry photo. A short shutter speed (maximum of 125th of a second) is my recommendation for shooting a moving subject. If a camera is held by hand, you must take into account your movement as well. Even the slightest movement can create a blurry photo. Ideally, you want to shoot with the shortest shutter speed possible when shooting a moving subject.
    So why don’t I shoot at a really short shutter speed you say. Well, because 1/500th of a second, may not allow enough light into your camera, to get a good exposure. Let’s move on.

Aperture (f stop)
    Aperture, refers to the size of the opening in your lens. A large aperture means that the opening is large, and more light will go through the lens. A small aperture means that the opening is small, and less light will get through the lens. Aperture, or f-stops, are given a number, for example 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22. The amount of light doubles or halves as you go up one “stop” or down one “stop”. The confusing part is this: a small f-stop (ex. 2. means a large opening, while a larger f-stop (ex. 22) means small opening. I’m not going to go into explaining why that is (it has to do with f-stop being a ratio), just remember that as the numbers get bigger, the opening gets smaller. The amount of light that enters the lens also determines something called Depth of Field. Depth of field refers to the are “front to back” that is in focus in your photo. The higher the f-stop, the more “in focus” your picture is. A low f-stop (ex. 2. allows more light it, but will have less of your photo in focus. A high f-stop (ex. 22) will let in less light, but will have more of your photo in focus. I like to draw the analogy to squinting. When you can’t see something well, you squint. By squinting, you are making the opening smaller (higher f-stop), and making more things in focus. Remember, with depth of field, we are talking about focus in terms of front to back,. (I’ll add a few photos soon).

ISO or Film Speed
    Film Speed (ISO) is simply a measurement of how sensitive the film, or camera sensor is to light. The larger the ISO, the more sensitive it is. The more sensitive the sensor/film is, the less light is needed to achieve the right exposure. An ISO of 100 will need 2x the amount of light as an ISO of 200, to get the same “brightness”. Why not just shoot at the highest ISO your camera lets you? Well, as the ISO get’s higher, your photos will become more grainy. So as a rule, you want to shoot at the lowest ISO you can. The better your camera is, the higher ISO you can shoot at, and still get photos that are not grainy.

Fill the Glass Analogy
    So what does it all mean? I like to look at exposure as a glass of water. Let’s look at a glass of water as a representation of a good exposure. You need enough water (light) to fill the glass, in order to achieve the correct exposure. So, the length of time you pour water is the shutter speed, and the diameter of your hose is the aperture. If you were pouring water into a glass, and were using a small hose (aperture), you would need to pour it in for a longer period of time (shutter speed) in order to fill it. If you were using a large diameter hose, you would fill that glass in less time. Therefore, as the diameter of your hose gets bigger, you need less time to fill the glass. As the diameter of your hose gets smaller, you need more time to fill the glass. Within reason, any combination of shutter speed and aperture that yields the correct amount of light, will result in a good exposure.

Flash
    DON’T USE A FLASH!! (sometimes you can, but try not to)

White Balance for a Reef Aquarium
    Ok, so I can take, nice, sharp pictures, but the corals don’t look like they do in real life…they are really blue…why? The answer is white balance (or color balance; same thing). White balance simply means that white will look white in your pictures. You camera will most likely have different settings for different types of light (sunlight, fluorescent, auto, etc) referring do different light “temperatures”. In the reef keeping hobby, we are all quite aware of how our tanks look under 10K lighting vs 20K bulbs. The problem is that our camera has no idea what’s going on, and because we normally use lighting that is more “blue” than natural light, the photos come out blue. Our eyes and brain are incredible, and therefore can adjust for this discrepancy, but our cameras need a little help.
    To the rescue comes “custom white balance”. This is as simple as telling the camera “this is what white looks like under this lighting conditions”; nothing more. Most new cameras will have a custom white balance setting. The procedure for each camera may differ slightly, but basically, you need to set a custom white balance, while you take a picture of something white inside your tank. This let’s the camera (sensor) re-calibrate the colors based on what you just told it white is. I normally do this by putting a white piece of PVC in then going to “set custom white balance”. I can then save that setting and use it in the future. It is important to remember that your reef tank lighting temperature will differ when you have your metal halides and T5, just T5s, just metal halides, etc.

Tank Preparation
    Please remember to clean your glass either earlier in the day, or the day before you want to take pictures. This will ensure that you don’t get Coraline spots in your photos.Turn off all pumps and powerheads, so that any floating particles stay still, your corals are not swaying in the current, and your fish come out to see what’s going on.
    When taking Full Tank Shots (FTS) make sure that no lights, windows, etc are reflecting off your your tank. Wearing dark clothing will ensure that YOU don’t create a reflection. Turn off the room lights, close shutters and curtains.
    Try to stay as still as possible. Using a tri-pod is always a good idea for macro shots and full tank shots, but bracing yourself on a stool or any nearby object will greatly help when holding the camera.
    I hope this is helpful for all you reef hobbyists. Please comment below with any questions and suggestions. I will be adding some articles about selecting a camera for reef photography, as well as more advanced tutorials, shortly.

Thanks for this camera for reef dummies explanation :p
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125