Thread: Newbie Trifecta

ORCA Forum Member

Newbie Trifecta

Hello All...
    Talk about NEW we are IT! We are going to be new to ORCA, new to SW & new to reefs! We have had freshwater creatures for quite a long time & have recently found twin tanks. One to upgrade our FW & one to start a SW which neither of us have ever had but always wanted! Our 1st attempt at SW is going to be a mixed tank! Don't roll your eyes, I really think we can handle this!
    Soft corals & reef friendly creatures are the goal! The FW is already upgraded & running. The SW is our new/next venture!
    We have twin 55g column tanks. Fluval 305's.
    I am in the process of building a foam/pvc/rock wall. I am itching to get the LR pieces to put in the wall NOW so was thinking of heading to Nolan's in Lakeland tomorrow. I've gotten lots of FW items from them but no SW. Any opinions before I head out in search of LR?
    Already have reef crystals mixed & in new tank so I'd like to get my wall going to join in on the cycle.
    Thanks for any input!

Welcome to Orca.

Are you going to have a sump and protein skimmer on the tank? If not I think the Fluval may be to little for the 55. I say this as you may experience problems with diatoms, and algae.
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125

ORCA Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0HaleNo View Post
    Hello All...
    Talk about NEW we are IT! We are going to be new to ORCA, new to SW & new to reefs! We have had freshwater creatures for quite a long time & have recently found twin tanks. One to upgrade our FW & one to start a SW which neither of us have ever had but always wanted! Our 1st attempt at SW is going to be a mixed tank! Don't roll your eyes, I really think we can handle this!
    Soft corals & reef friendly creatures are the goal! The FW is already upgraded & running. The SW is our new/next venture!
    We have twin 55g column tanks. Fluval 305's.
    I am in the process of building a foam/pvc/rock wall. I am itching to get the LR pieces to put in the wall NOW so was thinking of heading to Nolan's in Lakeland tomorrow. I've gotten lots of FW items from them but no SW. Any opinions before I head out in search of LR?
    Already have reef crystals mixed & in new tank so I'd like to get my wall going to join in on the cycle.
    Thanks for any input!
    I'm located on the beach in Satellite Beach and have approx. 80-100 lbs of liverock for sale. Just broke down my tank and need to sell the rock asap. Let me know!