Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Legacy High School's 300 gallon aquarium

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

Legacy High School's 300 gallon aquarium

As many of you know, our MACNA 2010 committee had a goal of this MACNA being the best ever. They were successful! They also had the insight to promote the hobby/trade from an educational standpoint. They approached Marineland and asked if they would donate the 300 g tank on display at MACNA to ORCA. ORCA would then donate it for an educational endeavor. Marineland thought it was a great idea! There were several educational options for ORCA to consider. We submitted a 4 page proposal and had to await ORCA and Marineland's decision. We were very thankful when we found that we were chosen.

We are a charter school on the border of Winter Garden and Ocoee. Our elementary and middle school are known as Hope Charter School and the high school is Legacy High School. We have about 500 students between the two schools. I teach one of the science teachers and teach a Marine Science class. I personally have had a saltwater tank for about 25 years and have been reefing for about 10 years. I was/am a member of Michigan Reefers when I was in Michigan and joined ORCA when I moved to Florida.

I will keep this thread updated (with pictures) to let you all know how things are going.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

On Thursday before MACNA 2010, several of my students came to the Marriott and we stuffed the totes and put together centerpieces for the convention. It was our way of giving back to ORCA and an opportunity to get some of the students excited about reefing. Friday those student's were allowed to attend the conference and walk around the booths of the vendors. Many of the vendors were excited when the found out who they were and started donating things to them for the tank. That helped the kids excitement level and showed them that there is a real interest out there for educating the public.

Saturday night, Mrs. Yoakum, our Director, and I attend the banquet and accepted the donation. On Sunday afternoon, while the raffle was taking place, a couple of students and I started to help teardown tanks and scoop out sand. Most vendors were throwing out their sand and said we could have it. As were doing that, we had a couple of vendors donate live rock, sea grasses, and a couple of fish. James and Mitch also went around asking vendors for anything that they didn't want. Because of the donations, I had to set up a tank that night. Thankfully my 70 gallon at home didn't have anything in it and I was able to set it up with the help of student and a donation of water from CaribSea.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

This is Sunday night of MACNA just set the tank in the lobby and some supplies. The second picture is the holding tank setup at home.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Coach,

Thanks for the update!

It is very exciting to see our next generation of reefers getting started and showing such enthusiasm.

I look forward to following along on your journey of getting that beautiful 300 gallon tank up and running.

All the best,
    Steve
    TANKSALOT
    aka - Steve
    Palm Bay, Florida

Member of:
    Space Coast Reef Club
    Reef2Reef

Hi David,

It's good to see that your enthusiasm for the project is still in high gear! ORCA looks forward to continuing to work with you through next year on this project. It will be both exciting and interesting to see the tank come to life and grow! It was great having you and your students come help us at MACNA - thanks again for all your help!

Sincerely,
    Naomi
    Naomi Clements

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

Thanks Steve. I intend to get you all completely updated within the next few days.

Naomi, yes we still have enthusiasm, although, it is taking longer than expected. The kids had a great time helping out and attending the conference.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

The holding tank and future quarantine tank.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

Well, let's see if the picture will show this time.

ORCA Forum Member
    Hi, David has posted some larger versions of the pictures up on Flickr.

Here is a direct link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dashhil...n/photostream/.

Here is the quarantine tank:

Holding tank 2 by dashhills, on Flickr

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

Thanks Iggy for posting. My ballast burned out, so Russell let me borrow his metal halides to keep everything going.

The following picture are two perculas that Jeremy from Indianapolis gave us at MACNA 2010.
    Black Perculas

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

[IMG] Black Perculas by dashhills, on Flickr[/IMG]

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

Sorry for the bad posts. I finally figured out how to post pictures. Thanks Iggy.
    The perculas above were given to us by Jeremy from Indianapolis at MACNA.

This next one is of star polyps that appeared on a piece of dead coral that was given to us a MACNA.

[IMG] Star polyps by dashhills, on Flickr[/IMG]

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

The seagrasses died off as expected; but they are the roots are producing some new shoots. MOFIB donated the grasses.

Grass by dashhills, on Flickr

Seagrass by dashhills, on Flickr

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

Star polyps and feather dusters popped out of some of the live rock.

Star polyps by dashhills, on Flickr

Feather dusters by dashhills, on Flickr

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

The Marine Science class had the opportunity to snorkel Sombrero Reef, visit the Turtle Hospital, and kayak through the mangroves in Marathon. On our way back we stopped by the holding facility of a man that supplies stores and SeaWorld with livestock. The kids talked me into a few purchases. I know I shouldn't have, but I gave in without knowing about some of the fish. We picked up a blue headed wrasse, a rock beauty angel, a jeweldamsel, a coral banded shrimp, and 3 serpent stars. The wrasse and angel were big mistakes and thanks to BlazinNano we don't have them anymore.

Blue headed wrasse by dashhills, on Flickr

Rock Beauty Angel by dashhills, on Flickr

Jeweldamsel by dashhills, on Flickr

Coral banded shrimp by dashhills, on Flickr

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

Ray and Russell came over and plumbed the tank so that we could maximize the pump usage. No pictures of them, just their work.

Tank by dashhills, on Flickr

Pumps by dashhills, on Flickr

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

AquaFX donated an RO/DI unit. The contractor was going to run the supply lines and drain for this and a sink, but after a month we found out that the finances were not sufficient for them to do this add-on. So I had a friend volunteer to make the connections. It wasn't easy because of how they ran the lines for the school. They also didn't have any valves inside the building, so we had to shut off the water to the entire school. But everything is in and working. The TDS meter reads 000!

RO/DI unit by dashhills, on Flickr

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    Looks great, I can't wait to see it once the display tank is cured.

Here's the picture of from above post :

Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2017

My 210g Journal

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

The day finally came to fill the tank. Since we only have a 40 gallon holding container at the present, it took 3 days.

Filling the tank. by dashhills, on Flickr

ORCA Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach
    The kids talked me into a few purchases. I know I shouldn't have, but I gave in without knowing about some of the fish. We picked up a blue headed wrasse, a rock beauty angel, a jeweldamsel, a coral banded shrimp, and 3 serpent stars. The wrasse and angel were big mistakes
    Hey Coach,

I know you know better NOW, but teach the kids that the three most important actions in reefing are research, research, research, BEFORE buying anything whether it be livestock or equipment.

I love this project! Wish I were closer, I’d pitch in and help.

Dick
    Amphibious
    My web site:The Cultured Reef