Thread: Lion fish

ORCA Forum Member

Lion fish

I was thinking of some lion fish tanks like end tables or as you walked into the house ageist the wall as a welcome tank? The question is how big? What kind of tank do they need? Looking for possibly 1 per tank plus if tank mates are allowed, if not no big deal.

Thanks

ORCA Forum Member
    There are several types of lions so depending on what you get it could be anywhere from 55gallons up to IDK maybe 200gallons depending on the size and type of lion you get. They like a lot of hiding places and I believe the general rule with tank mates is that if it can fit in there mouths its food. I hope this helps

ORCA Forum Member
    Oh wow.. thanks! I thought I could have them in like 20-25 gal hexes and as far as hiding places I thought that would get in the way of there spines. I thought they needed open spaces.. So thanks for the info!

ORCA Forum Member
    Yeah all the ones I could find need at least a 50gallon. When I look into getting a fish I always go to www.liveaquaria.com and look at what they say is the minimum tank size for that fish. That might give you a idea of what you can get for a smaller tank.

Go to our eastern shores. They are over whelming it.
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125

ORCA Forum Member
    Thanks a lot for the helpful info Midnight I will check them out.

Philip_r5

So I have heard.. The GOOD thing is I hear they are finding ways to catch and safely eat them....The bad is they may want to regulate hunting them for commercial purpose for a profit... In turn will keep them tearing everything up for $.

I think if there's money to be had in catching them, they will be fished to eternity.
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125