I though it would be nice to start a thread dedicated to sharing ways we have saved money over the years whether it's by making a common piece of equipment, using no-name products that work just as well as expensive ones, etc. Almost like a list with ways to save money in this expensive hobby.

I'll start by sharing a common question and answer I see a lot on some other forums.
Throughout the 2 or so years I have had a reef tank I have noticed the words "reef safe" usually mean super expensive. This is definitely the case when it comes to coral frag fastening glue and putty. If the magic words "reef safe" are not on the product, most people won't want to risk killing their entire tank over a dumb bottle of super glue. BUT...
My friend Trey turned me on to "loctite" super glue, which consists of only cyanoacrylate. This is the exact same compound two little fishes and every other "reef safe" super glue uses and the good news is it's half the price. You can pick up a bottle of loctite from HD or Lowes for $2-3(It's the grey bottle with the blue sides). Not huge savings, but every little bit helps.

I hope this thread proves useful and please, only post suggestions here if YOU HAVE actually tried them yourself.
Cheers!