Thread: Help with baby clowns

ORCA Forum Member

Help with baby clowns

Hi, I was directed to this forum by a LFS (coral reef aquariums) because they said there are some people who have breed clown fish on here in the past.

My 2 yellow striped Maroons spawned about a month ago, so I immediately started looking into how to make it work. I bought a separate smaller tank(5gal) and put some air stones and a heater in it with the rock with the eggs on it. After they hatched I started feeding them rotifers as described by almost every website out there on clown fish breeding. Most of the fry died off over a couple of days and I was left with about 5 ry. Then as they started going through metamorphosis I lost another 3 Now I have 2 baby clowns with stripes and I'm still feeding them rotifers and baby brine shrimp.

I was hoping someone might know if there is another food that I might feed them or a technique to get them to switch to ground flake? I don't know If I should move them to the main tank(120g) in a breeder box, or should leave them in the half full 5g tank? When presented with flake they don't seem interested. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

ORCA Forum Member
    I had success by adding rotifers and ground flake at the same time. I also found ground flake to be tough to get just right; most of the time, the flake just sank to the bottom. Otohime (by Reed Nutrition) is a popular larval feed.

Are you using a greenwater technique?

Instead of using a 5G, I suggest that you use a 10G half filled with water to start. Each day, add more water from your parent's tank to the larval tank. The daily additions will dilute any pollution.

ORCA Forum Member
    Personally, I suggest you do whatever Iggy says. I have a pair of his clowns babies, and they are Beautiful! They are very curious and love exploring my 90 gal reef! Whatever Iggy does, works.

ORCA Forum Member
    I have been trying to feed them baby brine shrimp but they don't seem all that interested. They do still like to eat the rotifers though. I guess I will have to order another rotifer feed bottle to keep the culture going until they switch to other food. :-/

ORCA Forum Member
    I had a hard time with the baby brine shrimp and after asking other breeders I think they are unnecessary especially if you aren't enriching them. I would use rotifers at least until after meta if possible.

First, congrats for getting the spawn and taking the time to learn how to raise the fry.

I agree with Iggy about the baby brine. I don't use them for my clowns (I do feed them to my Banggai juveniles though.) I skip the brine and go right to Otohime A. I usually start trying the Oto A around the 4th or 5th day, depending on how fast they are growing.

The key is to not overfeed at this point. Just add a tiny bit at first. Most won't take it on the first try and you don't want to risk lowering your water quality.

After a few days most of the fry should accept it. It's important to keep up with the rotifers until they are all weened onto the dry foods. As they get a little bigger I start testing them with frozen Cyclopeeze, great coloration, and larger dry foods.

Good luck!