Thread: Pink Panties Acan Problem.

ORCA Forum Member

Pink Panties Acan Problem.

I'm On Call, I haven't spent much time with my tank this week. The front glass has a nice film across it, and I missed doing a water change. I'm also exhausted, and God only knows what chemicals are embedded in my skin right now... So seeing my Acan RTNing is really freaking me out. Every other coral in my tank looks awesome. I just got home from work, and I was looking at the corals. Everything looks great, except the Pink Panties Acan, There are polyps with sweeper tentacles out, but the polyps around the bottom, near to the frag disk are sloughing off their flesh, which has turned into a light, see through jelly in the spots where it is attached to the skeleton. I've never fragged a coral, and I don't even know if this one is big enough to attempt it. I can use coral Rx tonight, but after dipping that torch and it dieing anyway, I'm nervous about dipping it ...even though the crazy blue sponge around it's base and up it's trunk eventually grew over the rest of the skeleton. My params are fine, I used my refrac, checker and my API test kits, and nothing is really out of normal for my tank. Very Frustrating. I have a RBTA and Acros doing phenomenally, and my Acan is melting.

ORCA Forum Member
    I just lost an Acan. I wish I had followed this advice: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1963263 I hope that helps. Good luck.

ORCA Forum Member
    I wish more people on here knew about the bugs that attack LPS coral.

It makes them recede/die...They get like a clear/white mucus ring around the base where they die. You will need to treat your entire system with Interceptor to fix this problem if you have it. It will not go away otherwise from my experience.

It will only effect crabs/shrimp/pods (you can just QT them in a 10gallon or so during treatment process)...

Check out melev's reef for instructions (i used a higher dose because I have LR and Sand).

I know he only addresses red bug, but whatever is killing your lps, it should take care of them too...I have done it in the past and it worked!

Don't think it isn't in your tank unless you dip before adding anything.

I used 4 doses (4-7 days apart).

Good luck and don't worry...

I am only speaking from my personal experience and if you do this treatment it is on your own accord and at your risk as I am not instructing anyone to do so.
    Last edited by swirlygig; 03-06-2011 at 03:15 PM.

ORCA Forum Member
    Interceptor will wipe out your pods right? What would be the best way to get your pods back?

ORCA Forum Member
    Most all will die, but not all...It will take some time, but they will come back eventually...You can also go buy some in the baggy at your local fish store or get another reefer with a clean system to get you some.