Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Clowns

ORCA Forum Member

Baby Clowns

This nest hatched on December 19 and settled on Dec 27. There are 65 individuals in a 10G tank. The largest is about 3/4" and the smallest is 3/8". They are still quite young but doing well. Thanks for letting me share this video of my baby clowns (Amphiprion Ocellaris).

ORCA Forum Member
    Very nice Iggy. I might have to come by and check out your setup and what your using.

that is awesome which type of clowns are they??

I love them this little. They are so cute!
    Kari Kosuchowski

ORCA Forum Member
    That's awesome! We haven't gotten our clowns yet, we are waiting till our RBTA gets bigger, just in case they host in her. My daughter would be very upset if her "Mem'ame" got beaten to death. She's fist sized now depending on her mood, so I'm guessing it's close to clown time. I doubt I'll ever get time to make a serious attempt to breed them though, that's pretty impressive! Oh Yeah, I haven't gotten all of the bio balls out yet... Slow and steady, and there's a LOT... But I'll bring what I have for you tomorrow if you still want them.

ORCA Forum Member
    Thank you all for nice the replies! Sorry they were slow to show up... blame the spammers, I do.

Midnight - I'd love to compare notes. Please consider this an invitation although I expect you'll be underwhelmed.

jestr - Thanks! They are Amphiprion Ocellaris. I don't know much about the parent's history but once I saw the juvenile coloration included the third stripe I was convinced.

Aqualove182 - Me too! I had no idea that they would show the submission shimmer so small plus they try to whip with their tail. Too cute.

Mostly Rock - Would you like a couple of the little guys? They are just a little over 3/4" long today and once they hit 1" I'll be ready to give them away. I suspect they will be ready to go around Feb. 25. I am still collecting bits and pieces for my grow-out system and bio-balls are still on my list. I'd be happy to take them of of our hands

ORCA Forum Member
    That's so cool! I've been wanting to breed clowns for a while but never got around to researching what all is needed. Do you happen to have a supply list for the set-up in the video?

ORCA Forum Member
    Absolutely. Blizz saw the babies in the vid and went nutz. She wants them all, and she wants to name them all Blizzard. I'll take a pair, we live close so we can set something up relatively easily. We'll see you at the Frag Event tonight.

-Mike

ORCA Forum Member
    CoralKingdom - Thanks! The setup in the video is pretty basic; a 10G tank, a small heater, a constant ammonia monitor badge, an air pump with gang valve and two short lengths of airline tubing, a few pounds of live rock, and a small HOB power filter. The lighting is supplied by a 70s style desk lamp with only one working bulb. I added the HOB filter the day the video was made and have since covered the intake.

Mike - Thanks again for the Bio-Balls. I'll get in touch when it's time... and I think Blizzard is a fine name for clown fish or all of them

Very very nice Iggy!!!!!
    If I didn't already have 3 clowns in my main tank and 1 in my fuge.... i would love to be on the list. But i have all I can handle.

Look forward to seeing them progress.

Steve
    TANKSALOT
    aka - Steve
    Palm Bay, Florida

Member of:
    Space Coast Reef Club
    Reef2Reef

ORCA Forum Member
    Iggy I want four. Let me know how much and when they are ready. This is super cool. It is awesome to see more people breeding.

ORCA Forum Member
    Steve - Thanksalot! Sounds like you've got a full compliment already but if something changes, I'd love for you to have one (or two, or four).

Andrew - Thank you very much. You're on the list and I'll let you know when it's time... I'm guessing sometime around the end of February.

Thanks again for the nice comments everyone!

ORCA Forum Member
    Thanks for the tour today Iggy, and the help to try to catch and raise a batch of clownfish myself. We'll see what happens tonight! Our clowns are VERY busy now preparing. If we can catch the fry, that will be a big improvement over what we've been able to do in the past.

You have a great setup, and all the clowns are SO CUTE! Each one of them deserves a loving new home. I hope you can place them all.

Thanks again for all your help!

Terry Loewen
    Tropical Reef Corals
    Aquaculture License #AQ0658028
    Email: trc@TropicalReefCorals.com

ORCA Forum Member
    Wow! It worked! We have fry - and LOTS of them! Your fry catcher did the trick, and we didn't have to stay up all night waiting.

Now for the next step, trying to get them to eat. This should be fun. Can't wait!

Terry Loewen
    Tropical Reef Corals
    Aquaculture License #AQ0658028
    Email: trc@TropicalReefCorals.com

ORCA Forum Member
    Terry, I'll adopt two babies when they get bigger. LOL.

ORCA Forum Member
    I don't know if anyone can use it but I have two packages of frozen rotifers. Don't know if using frozen is bad but I don't need them. If you can use them let me know.

ORCA Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TropicalReefCorals View Post
    Your fry catcher did the trick,
    Any info on the fry catcher, I am never able to get mu fry from my DT to a quarantine tank to try and raise them...

haha, so cute (and beautiful)! How big are these guys now? Looks like it was a really great experience for you. How often your clowns breed like that?

What do you plan to do with them? If adoption I would definitely be interested, as I have a nice home they would love.

ORCA Forum Member

Rotifers

I have some eggs that are looking good after a few days. I was hoping I could buy a cup of rotifers from someone's live culture if possible. Please let me know. Thank you.

how're the little guys doing? so cute!