Thread: red algea in sand

ORCA Forum Member

red algea in sand

ive had this problem thats been stumping me and everyone about my sand. i upgraded from a 46 to a 90 last summer, and used all my old rock 3 years cured, plus 40 more lbs new cured rock. its a reef tank. i only added new sand. that was the only thing new. pretty much every since its been set up its had this light "flowy" red algea covering it. i got a sand sifting diamond goby to take care of it, he ate it all so fast he starved before more nutricious stuff could come back in the sand. and as soon as he died, bam! all the red stuff back. i cant get rid of this. its been a year. the corals look awesome, everything a normal parameters and temp. new bulbs 2 months ago. anyone have any idea how to fix this?????

ORCA Forum Member TheLivingReef's Avatar
    Check the current in your tank. If may be a flow issue. Also when was the last time you changed out your carbon? Are you running a skimmer?
    The Living Reef, Deltonas first and only REAL reef store. Check us out at 1780 Doyle RD, Deltona FL 32725 or online at thelivingreef.org

ORCA Forum Member
    besides the flow issue, also try more H2O changes, have you checked phosphates? try less feeding too.

ORCA Forum Member
    i have a euro reef 135 or something on the tank so its definitely not that. i have a blueline return with a koralia 3 and tunze 6025 for extra flow. its oolite sand so i dont want to blow it all over the place. last time i changed the carbon was probably a few weeks. last water change about 3 weeks ago. so i guess just more water changes. also can t-5 bulbs get old?

Yes, T-5 do age. Change them at about 10-12 months.

ORCA Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acrocraze
    i have a euro reef 135 or something on the tank so its definitely not that. i have a blueline return with a koralia 3 and tunze 6025 for extra flow. its oolite sand so i dont want to blow it all over the place. last time i changed the carbon was probably a few weeks. last water change about 3 weeks ago. so i guess just more water changes. also can t-5 bulbs get old?
    T5s should probably be changed eery 10 months. People say a year but that is pushing them to their max. When you do a water change suck some of of the algae out. If you need anything man let me know. I am right down the street and I am available anytime after 1 tomorrow.

ORCA Forum Member
    thanks blayzinnano, actually if u could swing buy today that would be great. but unless you moved im nowhere close to deltona. i live near amway arena where the magic play. and if u are an old friend sorry i cant remember who you are because i cant match names with profile names lol. but i think it was the t-5's because i turned them off for about 4 days now and no new algae has grown (so far) so im pretty sure that was the problem

ORCA Forum Member
    My fiancé lives down the street from you. I was the one who came and got the leaking bow front off you. What size are your t5s? I have to stop by Seven Seas when they open so I will not be on that side of town till like 2 but will be over all day. I will call you.

it also could be that cutting the light killed photosynthesis and killed it off

ORCA Forum Member
    true but they were only supplement t-5's only 54 watts a piece. i have two 250 watt metal halides too so i dont think turning off thr t-5s would make that much of a difference