Thread: new to the area

ORCA Forum Member

new to the area

hello,
    I have introduced myself to this club once before but when i did that i was still living in brevard county. well now i am living in the waterford lakes area. today i moved the tank here to my new home. all went well, hopefully there will be no spikes in my parameters. all i lost in the move was a cleaner shrimp. could have been much worse. well with the move out of the way, today i went to the LFS that is right around the corner from my house. it is called Aquaria Studio. nice shop, they had some really sharp corals. anyway, the owner told me that being a member of this club will give discounts at many shops. but he said that i needed a membership card. what do i have to do to get the membership card. he said that i need to present it to him for a discount of 10%. every bit helps so if anyone knows the answer to my question i would appreciate the insight.
    Thanks everyone,
    jess

ORCA Forum Member
    The easiest way is go to the next meeting. I think it is this sat. Look under forums and Up Coming Meetings and Special Events. it is like the second thread down. March 2010 Meeting.

ORCA Forum Member
    Hey Jess

First off welcome to the orca forums! To become a member you need to go through the application proccess. On the left hand side of the screen you will see the main menu of the site. Click on members. Under there you will see the link for membership application. You can print it and fill it out and either bring it to the next meeting or mail it in. the address is on the form. The cost to be a member is on the application as well and the card itself can b picked up at the following meeting usually or mailed to you if requested. If you have further questions don't hesitate to ask. The people involved in orca, both the club and the forums are great and will help you out.

Drew

ORCA Forum Member
    i dug around on the site and now i see that there are two designations for members in this club. forum members and club members. i want to join the actual club, but i am curious what are some of the other perks that come with membership. i am now aware of the 10% discounts. what else??

ORCA Forum Member
    The club had a member holiday party that you could only go if you where a member. They are also going to Seaworld. you do not have to be a member to go but I think you get and extra discount if you are. Little stuff like that.

ORCA Forum Member
    Hi, Jess!

Welcome to ORCA! BlayzinNano and Drew have pretty much covered the application process and the perks of the club and I thought I'd add a bit to it.

It's true that it is generally easiest to sign up at one of the meetings, but you can also sign up through the mail if you'd like. The application has the information you need, and you can just print it, fill it out and mail it to my address (listed on the application). I typically hand out the membership cards at the next meeting, but I can mail the card to you if you need me to.

The ORCA discounts are available at a wide range of stores, and our sponsors are listed under the "Sponsors" tab to the left, along with their specific discounts. I find that the discounts pay for the membership fee many times over! We also host events for our members, including the Seaworld trip (ORCA members get a 50% discount) and the Holiday Party that were mentioned. We hold Frag Events quarterly and auction off frags donated by our members. The proceeds are split 50/50 between the club and the member (only paid members may auction their frags). Also, if you buy any frags at the Frag Event, non-members pay a $5 fee to buy frags which members are not required to pay.

I think I've covered most of it. Of course, if you have any other questions I'll be happy to answer them for you!

I hope to see you at a meeting soon!

Torry Schilling
    ORCA Membership Director

Welcome Jess!!!

Not much I can add to the benefits package, but keep in mind that at the monthly meeting there are special DIY Workshops like the one we just had with Roger of Roger's Food. There is a speaker this month from one of the leading aquarium lamp manufacturers. I have had the honor of attending a lot of meetings and meeting some great people. Trust me, it is worth a lot more than it costs.

Hope to see you at the meeting Saturday night!
    I drive over from Brevard to attend, that should tell you something

TANKSALOT
    aka - Steve
    TANKSALOT
    aka - Steve
    Palm Bay, Florida

Member of:
    Space Coast Reef Club
    Reef2Reef

ORCA Forum Member
    Welcome Jess. I hope to see you at the meeting this Saturday!
    Jon Clements

ORCA Forum Member
    thank you all for being so welcoming, i will be submiting my app very soon.