Thread: Quarantine

ORCA Forum Member

Quarantine

This may be a dumb question from someone who has been in the hobby for about 2 years, but I bought a Sailfin Tang for my reef tank. I decided to quarantine him after having some bad luck with the ich on my last tang.

Being the first time I've ever quarantined anything (I know should have started sooner), but how long is long enough to QT ? I've read 1 to 2 weeks

He's been in QT for 4 days and I'm anxiously waiting to drop him into the display.

ORCA/OREO Club Sponsor
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member

Minimum should be 3 weeks. This is due to the fact that some parasite have up to a 2 week life cycle and you ant to be well past that. I would say 4 weeks is better. Call me crazy, but I think it would help to cover the unknown.

ORCA Forum Member
    Well today makes day 5 and he is still showing no signs of any external or internal disease. He is very timid and shy in the little 10 gallon tank especially when I try to feed him so I'm hoping he comes around when he's in the display.

ORCA/OREO Club Sponsor
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member

Most new fish are very shy. It probably will be shy when you move him to the main tank, but in time should be swimming around like the rest.

ORCA Forum Member
    Yea every now and then I see a tang that just has that natural personality that shines, but most take time, which is ok with me because I'm planning on having this guy for a long while.