Thread: Frag tank help

ORCA Forum Member

Frag tank help

I am looking to set up a 10-20g frag tank (even considering a rubbermaid long container). I would like some advice on setting up an inexpensive filtration system, such as skimmer, sump, plumbing etc. I have a 48" dual T5 fixture but it prob wont be good enough so I will find a cheap replacement more than likely.

Any help on setting one up from scratch would be highly appreciated.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

I always hate it when I post and have a "million" views, but no one responding. So, I will explain why one of the views wasn't going to comment. I have never set up a frag tank, so I am not much help. Sorry.
    David Hill
    OREO VP 2017-2018
    OREO President 2015-2016
    ORCA President 2014-2016
    ORCA Secretary 2011-2013

OREO Club Member
    OREO President
    ORCA Forum Member
    Do you have an existing reef tank to plumb the frag tank into or will it be stand alone?

I once set up a 10G frag with some power compacts and a power head for flow and it worked really well. I did regular water changes in lieu of the skimmer. Maybe get a 20G long tank and use the 48" t5 you already have is the most cost effective option even though the light swill over hang the tank.

I currently have a 40G breeder tank set up as a Frag tank overflowing into my sump with t5 for the light. Very pleased with the results.
    Mixed reef 180 gallon DT,Euroreef rs 250 skimmer, AI LED lights, 2 Sicce HP Voyager 8 power heads, 40 sump, 40g frag tank, 75g Display Tank

ORCA Forum Member
    I wish I could plumb it into my main system but due to its location and it is a cardiff tank (built in sump etc).

Also if it just has the two bulbs will it be enough to support shrooms, zoas and leathers? Maybe some torches in the future.
    Last edited by First_Time_Reefer; 09-08-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: added info

I think the t5's on a shallow tank maybe no more then 10-12inchs from top to bottom would produce enough par for those softies. Go with a 20 breeder tank if you can. Use a basic bio-wheel power filter and do bi weekly water changes.

This to me would be the most cost effective way to try and see if it will work.

Considering shrooms, zoas, and leathers like or should I say withstand higher nitrate levels ( detritus ) it may work.
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125

Makes me want to consider setting one up lol
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125

OREO Club Member
    OREO President
    ORCA Forum Member
    Hi First Time Reefer, have you set it up the Frag tank yet?
    Mixed reef 180 gallon DT,Euroreef rs 250 skimmer, AI LED lights, 2 Sicce HP Voyager 8 power heads, 40 sump, 40g frag tank, 75g Display Tank

ORCA Forum Member
    I have not yet, debating whether I want to get another tank (75g +) or concentrate on the corals...but currently i'm leaning towards sticking with a frag tank.