Thread: Howdy All

ORCA Forum Member

Howdy All

Just wanted to introduce myself to the community. Currently I have just a 55 gallon fish only tank. Been doing saltwater since I was 17. Just the basics. But finally decided to go bigger. I got a 90 gallon tank last month and just finished building a stand for it. Hope to learn alot here. So far everything is great. Thanks.

Stuart

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    Welcome, those 90g tanks are very nice for aquascaping, good luck.

ORCA Forum Member
    Welcome! I am in the same boat, built a new stand for an old 90 gallon. Working on plumbing now.

ORCA Forum Member
    This is where i'm at with my progress.

That is a really nice job. I am only curious about the lighting. Are thosa VHO bulbs? I'm only concerned about what all you will be able to keep if those are regular bulbs.

But....Great Job on the Stand and Hood....

And WELCOME!!!!!!
    2009, 2010*and 2011 ORCA Mentoring Director. Proud to serve on the Board of Directors.
    (and I have no idea where the asterisk is coming from....)

ORCA Forum Member
    Very nice job on the stand and canopy, looks great!! Just a couple questions...did you seal in the interior of the stand and canopy....epony or poly? The salt will eat it alive otherwise. And talk to the people in here, they will help out with lighting solutions, they are great.

ORCA Forum Member
    Well, currently there are 2 home depot 4ft light strips in the canopy. But am concerned there won't be enought watts. Currently they will run I think 80 watts for each strip. I do have a Icecap 430 ballast that came with the tank. Unfortunately, when I built the canopy I forgot to measure for the lights. The bulbs won't fit because of those big caps on the ends. Now if its possible to just swap the ballast and use what I have now then thats what I will do. I ordered a new harness for the Icecap ballast last night to support 4 bulbs. That ballast is suppose to handle 330 watts. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

ORCA Forum Member
    The exterior of the stand was stained with poly already in the stain. I didn't do anything on the inside. I was kinda thinking it would get hot inside the canopy and the base. Wasn't sure how flameable that stuff was. I doubt it would ever get that hot. But i'm game for anything that will save me from headaches later on.

ORCA Forum Member
    The lightstrip from Home Depot will only grow yucky algae in your tank. You will need to consider a different light all together. You can use those with a coral life bulb for fish only, but for coral it just isn't enough.

Now, for the inside of you stand and canopy....you will need to seal it with something or that pretty stand will be crap in just a few yrs. I have some left over epoxy if you are interested in some. Just pm me. You can't paint the epoxy on with the tank intact or inside you home (I did mine in the garage.)

ORCA Forum Member
    Well. Since its in the house now. I could always get a spray can of that poly. I'll just make sure to open the windows up. I originally bought t12 doodads to hook the bulbs up too. I just needed the wiring diagram. I finally got that last night so thats probably what I will do. Yank out those 2 strips and just wire it up like I originally planned. Sorta why i've been hesitating on getting live rock.

welcome skidzzz!!

ORCA Forum Member
    Thank you for the welcome. Got my 2 Hydor Koralia # 4 Pump Powerheads today. Waiting on my new harness for the lights. With only 3 VHO lights, what can I safely have in the tank? And what type of bulbs? I got some moon lights coming in this week as week. Plus 3 fans to go in the canopy. All I need now is find some live rock and a protein skimmer and i'll be in business.

ORCA Forum Member
    Here's an update on the rock I got for the tank today.

ORCA Forum Member
    Nice Tank... Welcome Aboard!!
    <em><strong><em><strong></em><strong>

</strong></em>