Thread: Hello everyone!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

Welcome Jason,
    Nothing like a new tank project to get the wheels turning.. things I consider a must on a 100+ is house water supply at the sump/ filter RODI location with a gravity drain at the same a small sink is really nice, dedicated power with a power outage plan maybe a small generator around some where, two smaller ac systems vs one large one for solid temperature control as it gets hot fast in fl if an AC has a bad day, and space to expand n work as the setup matures.

Your welcome to come check out my place or ask for more details on how I have done mine. I am a third generation residential construction guy. I built my home with the lines where i wanted my tanks. I also converted my detached garage into a fish room recently. I have water lines going to n from all my tank locations to move new n old SW around as well as get rid of waste n so forth and it really helps towards the over all goal of consistency and manageability long term on bigger systems and multi systems.
    Four individual systems Right now.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.
    A 200 gallon MARS quarintine with UV system/ medication for new arrivals.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!

OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim28fl View Post
    Welcome Jason,
    Nothing like a new tank project to get the wheels turning.. things I consider a must on a 100+ is house water supply at the sump/ filter RODI location with a gravity drain at the same a small sink is really nice, dedicated power with a power outage plan maybe a small generator around some where, two smaller ac systems vs one large one for solid temperature control as it gets hot fast in fl if an AC has a bad day, and space to expand n work as the setup matures.

Your welcome to come check out my place or ask for more details on how I have done mine. I am a third generation residential construction guy. I built my home with the lines where i wanted my tanks. I also converted my detached garage into a fish room recently. I have water lines going to n from all my tank locations to move new n old SW around as well as get rid of waste n so forth and it really helps towards the over all goal of consistency and manageability long term on bigger systems and multi systems.
    I was hoping to get a floor drain in the garage but no such luck. What I will have a is a utility tub that I can at least set my RODI in so if it leaks it just drains. Also allows me to plumb an overflow line for my RODI tank to the sink so if a float valve fails it'll just drain into the sink.

We will have 2 AC's and I also have a generator powerful enough to run the tank, a fridge, and maybe something else. Insulated garage door so the temp, at least gauging from some of the spec houses they have, doesn't get too much warmer in the garage. Would like to avoid a chiller if possible. In my current house I have my controller, fresh sw tank, RODI tank, and old sw tank in my garage just opposite the wall where my current tank sits. Life saver since I've done it that way. Apex DOS for auto water changes.

Next step in this house will be to house the sump and equipment in the garage to make maintenance even easier. I'll be able to build in a distribution header off the return to power reactors, feed the fuge, and one or two more for anything else I come up with. My wife will love me changing out reactor media in the garage instead of the kitchen lol! I do need to find a clean way to pass water lines from the tank through the wall to the garage. Want to experiment with how to pass the Apex USB through the wall too. Might be able to use some stand alone USB wall outlets but need to make sure any pin connections are correct. The thought is to put one EB8 on the tank side to power lights and power heads with everything else powered off another EB8 in the garage.

Would love to check out the 300DD sometime once we get down there. That was atop my wish list but budget wouldn't realistically allow a new one and used ones are hit or miss to find. The 210 was a pretty good deal that I couldn't pass up.

Thanks all for the welcome!

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

I set up a 1.5 ton mini split dc inverter ac system, "common in hotels and in puerto rico in the houses down there" dedicated for the garage. total cost about 1700 $ and the entire room stays 76 at a fraction of the cost of a chiller or even a typical home ac system. They have long warranties and are commercial grade. small and super quiet and efficient. mine is the fujitsu and has heat mode as well if it ever gets cold enough for a few days down here. So far i love it! and the garage is very comfortable. its something you could add later if needed for sure.

Because the locations that my poly tube comes in n out of are behind the tank i just used 2x2 plastic mud rings and if i ever moved i, just put blank plates on them. and i just strapped the pvc pipe which run to the exterior for high water drain and fresh air vent to the wall studs and mud them in tight with drywall mud. Even one of those dryer vent covers for out side on both sides would allow alot of freedom. I'd not use usb outlets for usb cords they corrode fast better to just feed them thru a 2 inch pipe or something like a chase. on that note change the outlets in the tank areas to weather proof versions. They are just made with corrosion resistant materials for use outdoors and around pool equipment n so forth. And they fair much better long run around the saltwater. they make gfi's and regular outlets in WP "weather proof" by the way.
    another idea is a small bath room fan installed just over top the tank location maybe. and if it was reversible that would be really trick you could time it to extract during hot time and blow in during cold times relative to indoor out door temp. man that would be great for the tank ph and keeping the house fresh and getting rid of heat n humidity say from light fixtures n so forth. i cant think of any small bi directional fan sort of things off the top of my head but it would need to be ducted to out side under a soffit or somewhere probably not on a roof top.

While I'm thinks of it i highly suggest spray foam insulation on the house as an isolation up grade. 15 SER rated ac systems. " there pretty much the best for the buck across the board ATM I suggest carrier or trane personal. and a quality window and door product. I highly suggest five point locking doors over traditional single point. all of these things are a good bit over the typical builder grade stuff but well worth the extra money long run. I would look at wood look tile instead of real wood floors as well good ones you can't tell the difference except they way they feel walking on them. Florida rain and humidity VS wood floors is really a matter of time before they get ruined. And then there is the tank water issue of course. I can go on n on. if you wanna hear some more just ask... lol I think I'm excited for you!!! LOL
    Four individual systems Right now.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.
    A 200 gallon MARS quarintine with UV system/ medication for new arrivals.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!