Thread: Good Tank or Bad Tank?

Good Tank or Bad Tank?

I am considering the purchase of a used reef ready 90 gallon. The corner flo is siliconed in black while the rest of the aquarium is clear. Is this customary for a corner flo tank of any brand or is this a potential DIY job?

100% common from manufactor
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125

OREO Club Member
    OREO President
    ORCA Forum Member
    I agree with Philip
    Mixed reef 180 gallon DT,Euroreef rs 250 skimmer, AI LED lights, 2 Sicce HP Voyager 8 power heads, 40 sump, 40g frag tank, 75g Display Tank

I would be more concerned with age and state of the actual tank seams, since those are structural. Overflow, even if DIY, is not that hard to do right or redo, if you feel like it.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

I agree with Michael and Philip. normal from manufacture. And if your an experienced reefer. then its likely that this tank last your reef till the seems fail. so buying a used tank shortens the life of the over all system. Hopefully you loose interest n sell it before the tank splits which is the most common case.

I can't imagine buying at 15 yr old tank and setting up a 10,000$ reef in it only to have the seam fail in the middle of the night at yr 17 "2 yrs later" and the whole thing is down the drain. Considering a new tank can be bought for best case scenario 1$ a gallon from all glass. All be it not a fancy tank but still smart money.

Once the "clear" silicon gets really "cloudy" IMO the tank is minimum half thru its life cycle or more. even if it never had water in it. i have heard of some tanks lasting 40 yrs. But not likely.

I also suggest a tile floor…. unless you like dealing with home owners insurance claims..

**a lot of the aquariums have a date to he bottom and the manufacture and also something that says if the bottom glass is tempered or not.
    Four individual systems Right now.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.
    A 200 gallon MARS quarintine with UV system/ medication for new arrivals.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!

ORCA Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim28fl View Post
    I agree with Michael and Philip. normal from manufacture. And if your an experienced reefer. then its likely that this tank last your reef till the seems fail. so buying a used tank shortens the life of the over all system. Hopefully you loose interest n sell it before the tank splits which is the most common case.

I can't imagine buying at 15 yr old tank and setting up a 10,000$ reef in it only to have the seam fail in the middle of the night at yr 17 "2 yrs later" and the whole thing is down the drain. Considering a new tank can be bought for best case scenario 1$ a gallon from all glass. All be it not a fancy tank but still smart money.

Once the "clear" silicon gets really "cloudy" IMO the tank is minimum half thru its life cycle or more. even if it never had water in it. i have heard of some tanks lasting 40 yrs. But not likely.

I also suggest a tile floor…. unless you like dealing with home owners insurance claims..

**a lot of the aquariums have a date to he bottom and the manufacture and also something that says if the bottom glass is tempered or not.
    I am not sure any of this answers the OP question but no matter if you buy a new tank or a used tank, every single day shortens the life. It is inevitable that one day the seams will fail. Talking about a 15 year old tank with $10k reef seems pretty extreme though.

My best answer to the OP question is that this was a DIY job (and probably a repair). I don't recall seeing an mfg use two different colored silicone (clear for tank and black for overflow) on one tank.

Quote Originally Posted by eg8r210 View Post
    I am not sure any of this answers the OP question but no matter if you buy a new tank or a used tank, every single day shortens the life. It is inevitable that one day the seams will fail. Talking about a 15 year old tank with $10k reef seems pretty extreme though.

My best answer to the OP question is that this was a DIY job (and probably a repair). I don't recall seeing an mfg use two different colored silicone (clear for tank and black for overflow) on one tank.
    I second Ed's opinion

My current and previous tank new from factory. Clear on glass corners and black on overflows.
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125