Thread: Metal Halide lifespan

ORCA Forum Member

Metal Halide lifespan

What is the realistic life of a MH bulb ran 8 hrs per day on an icecap electric balist?

There are as many opinions on this as there are people in the Hobby. I think most people will say to change them annually due to color drift and intensity loss.

I know there has been one (true) study done an a multiple bulb population of Phoenix bulbs, several each of both 150W and 250W which indicated extremely tight color spectrum AND intensity across the entire usable life of both wattages. This research, as well as my own "data" show that these bulbs stay great right up until they quit firing!
    2009, 2010*and 2011 ORCA Mentoring Director. Proud to serve on the Board of Directors.
    (and I have no idea where the asterisk is coming from....)

ORCA Forum Member
    Mitch, so based on what you have observed we don't need to replace the bulbs until they burn out? That would bre great but I just wanted to make sure I understand. Also, where can I get a copy of the study and do you think it is possible that the results are specific to Phoenix bulbs (through some design difference between them and other bulbs)?

ORCA Forum Member
    I would guess that it is only the phoenix bulbs, but I didn't read the study or am as knowledgeable a Mitch. However when our bulbs (Reeflux) begin to reach the end of their lifespan we can tell because our corals don't do as well. So I would guess that they are not putting out the amount of light that they used to. We change our about every 6 months. I hope that helps.

I will have to do a bit of research to locate the info, but I will put out the feelers....I heard it from a very knowledgeable friend...I will start the search...

And yes, it was specific to Phoenix bulbs...
    2009, 2010*and 2011 ORCA Mentoring Director. Proud to serve on the Board of Directors.

ORCA Forum Member
    I change my bulb every 10 months. Or I did have only had to change it once. Tank is about 13 months old and the fixture is about 11.

Okay, I spoke a bit out of turn before, but even the actual results referenced were pretty amazing....here is the original posting of information, put together by another one of those real Professor Types....

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...pic=188798&hl=

Mr. Fosi is a PHd Marine Science type and a real research process minded individual....the data doesn't show that it remains the same, but it does indicate very strong evidence that replacing Phoenix Bulbs too soon is something to be considered....I generally run them until I look and say %@#$**&^, My bulb is out!!!!