Thread: Michael's 180g Reef

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Just did some tests with loc-line.

- Sicce 5.0 fully open
    - About 5' head through 3/4" hose for about foot, then 1' pipe with one union and 2 elbows at the top (basically a U turn to go over the rim into the tank)
    - Two 1/2" loc-line split from 1' pipe with a 1" T into 6" long loc-lines with flat nozzle on the ends
    - Pump 3 gallons

Results:
    About 12-13% decrease in speed with loc-line on.
    But what's more interesting is that Sicce 5.0 was delivering only about 500gph at five feet, seems rather low vs their estimate of a bit over 1000gph at 5'. Of course I have union and 2 elbows, but they should not cut flow that much. Wonder what is going on. Of course I did a fairly quick test with pump initially at rest, but still I doubt number would nearly double in normal flow setup.

OREO Secretary
    ORCA Forum Member
    new tank looks nice, cant wait to see its progress.

If i understand correctly they state 1000gph at 5 ft head pressure and your geting half that. Sounds pretty stinky for only two elbows, yes they will have a loss but not half!!!! If i remember correctly adding a 90 is like adding a additional 3-6 ft of st pipe. do you have any restriction on the input or, is there a drop in pipe diamater on the output. You may have just tested there numbers to say BOOOOOGUS, or there numbers are for 0 ft of head pressure. As most of our pumps are not good at pressure but more volume oriented and any head is significant on performance.
    ><((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ><(((((º>
    I keep water, last checked about 600 gallons worth.
    Problem is animals keep using it as there water closet.
    Worst of all the littlest ones keep using up all the supplies.