Thread: Aquarium Controler

Aquarium Controler

In my efort to control my aquarium and do it more accurate and easy at best, my wife ask me what I would like for my birthday, the idea of a bigger tank is good but I must lern a lot more before i go big (200 to 300)
    I would like some inputs this controler offer
    Is very unexpensive (comparing with other brands and same or less fetures)and it seems that i will be able to upgrade in the near future if i want to

ORCA Forum Member
    I don't have any experience with that controller. I do have an a couple of commercial controllers and honestly, they are all overkill to me. In the end, a simple timer works just as well. My suggestion for gadgets to improve your BioCube would be (in this order):

1. LEDs. The BioCube 29's PC bulbs are very low output.
    2. Checkers. The Hanna Alk and Phosphate testers are very appealing to me (but I hate titration test kits)
    3. Monitors. If I want constant pH or ORP monitoring, this is the route I'd go.
    4. Refractometer and RO/DI unit. Garbage in, Garbage out. The best way to make sure you have 'good' water is to start with pure RO/DI. I don't trust anyone (esp. a LFS) with this task.
    5. Vortech MP10ES. I can't believe I just wrote that... but there it is. The low profile powerhead makes great flow (from what I gather). I'm still using Hydor Pico Evolution in my BC29 but I'm tired of looking at and cleaning the Hydor Flo so I think this is the next logical step.
    6. Sump plus oversized skimmer. I trying to achieve a high nutrient low nitrate tank and I'm convinced that I need a much bigger skimmer than my AquaticLife 115 but would need a sump to make it happen.

Again, this are just my opinion and I hope someone who uses a ReefKeeper can give you a first hand report.

ORCA Forum Member
    I do not use the RK but I heard it is pretty good. I use an Apex for my tanks and I love it. I use it to control pH, temp, lights, kalk, ato, and pumps. It sends me alerts for water in the floor, high/low temps....

This was asked some time ago, here on the ORCA forums, and it got pretty lengthy in discussion.

My 2 cents: You don't have a controller now and your wife will spend 200 for this. Wait a few more months, save a couple hundred more and get the Digital Aquatics RKE, or the Neptune Apex.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

I agree with both Iggy and Daimyo. You probably don't need it; however, if you are going to go with a controller spend a little extra and do not go with the lite version. We have the Digital Aquatics RKE at the school, if you would like to see it in operation. You need to make a visit to the school anyway. DA donated the controller to us, while Neptune wouldn't give us the time of day. The only thing I can compare between the two is their customer service. The one was extremely helpful and the other one snobby. Having said that, my biggest issue with DA's controller is that the instructions are terrible. It is not easy to set up. If Rick Loewen from Tropical Reefs hadn't helped me, I would still be setting it up.

Can wait

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I agree with both Iggy and Daimyo. You probably don't need it; however, if you are going to go with a controller spend a little extra and do not go with the lite version. We have the Digital Aquatics RKE at the school, if you would like to see it in operation. You need to make a visit to the school anyway. DA donated the controller to us, while Neptune wouldn't give us the time of day. The only thing I can compare between the two is their customer service. The one was extremely helpful and the other one snobby. Having said that, my biggest issue with DA's controller is that the instructions are terrible. It is not easy to set up. If Rick Loewen from Tropical Reefs hadn't helped me, I would still be setting it up.
    That sounds awsome,I will make time to stop by,seen is believing what is the best time to do so.
    The idea of the controler is only base on making this more pleasent, I have also some one checking for me on Germany (they coming to visit in march) to see what they use there.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

I am at school from 8 until at least 4 Monday through Friday. Of course, I do teach, but ... My lunch hour is from 11 until 11:50 and then I am done with classes at 3:24. Let me know. You have my number text me what day works for you or we could do a weekend.