Thread: Deltona Fl Newbie

ORCA Forum Member

Deltona Fl Newbie

Hello everyone,

I'm just starting into saltwater myself only have a 26 bow-front with 20 lbs of live rock and 1 inch sand-bed for now. it has been running for 2 months. I would show pictures but its very sub-par right now. fighting green hair algae. bought 3 Mexican red legged hermits and a green brittle star with a Clown fish living in it for now.

Ordered a 28g jbj nano cube HQI to transfer this too shortly. Got it today but they sent me the 24g deluxe instead with the RIGHT 28g HQI stand bummer. they are sending me out a new one and a return label for this at the same time. so hopefully in a week i can start a frsh from scratch build thread and all the things i do wrong =)

Trying to Find some cheap beginner frags local also once i get it set up, going to leave my 26 gallon up for a Q-tank for my new fish and frags. (not many fish since nano).

Kris.

ORCA Forum Member
    Hi Kris and Welcome! Glad to see more Nanno 'keepers in the club. Don't sweat the hair algae; you're not alone I was just reading up on burning it with a blast from a butane lighter. You're in luck... we're having our frag event this Saturday so you should be able to pick up some nice frags at great prices. Hope to see you there!
    Last edited by Iggy; 01-25-2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling errors.

ORCA Forum Member
    Welcome to ORCA...hope to see you at the frag event!
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ORCA Treasurer
    Past Membership Director (2010-2011)

ORCA Forum Member
    Thanks for the welcomes. I will try to make the event hate to miss it. I work at a Vet clinic and might be on call if i am not I hope to meet and greet with some of you and learn some more about this awesome hobby. My hermit crabs are eating all my algae and water changes going good so it looks to be clearing up should have some pictures soon along with new tank.

ORCA Forum Member
    Awesome to see more people from my side of town, people with nanos, and people who work in the vet veils (lot of people don't understand how much work it actually is). Welcome!! Let me know if I can help at all. Where in deltona are you (people still think it is a small town, its not)?

ORCA Forum Member sunshinereefer's Avatar
    Welcome to the club ..glad to see more members join from around the place where I live..wish you all the best..and if you need any help let us know..probably you have joined one of the best reef clubs in town!!
    Regards
    Prashant Chopde

ORCA Forum Member
    Thanks sunshinereefer, Glad to see people local too and I agree, glad to have found this reef club and hope to learn and then help others so more can enjoy it as do you all I'm sure. Glad to see your around too!

BlazinNano, Glad to see someone from my town also. I live by Normandy and Saxon intersection Actually off Normandy Stillwater is the Street. I've been to a few local LFS and see them close down when i go back =( So i guess Daytona and Longwood are our best bets? I agree about the Vet field it is a lot of work but great rewards also but thanks for saying it, always nice to hear.

ORCA Forum Member
    Which normandy and saxon? And yes we don't have much out in deltona we have to drive to longwood or daytona.

ORCA Forum Member
    Welcome! I feel ORCA goes a bit beyond the best Reefer club in town, and extends to one of the best in the country. I will be on call from tomorrow till next Thursday, 24/7. I'm trading out Saturday with a guy who is on call on Superbowl Sunday, because Honestly, An ORCA Frag Event is far superior to any Superbowl in history. Yeah, I'm an addict... I Need My FIX!!!

ORCA Forum Member
    The one closer to I4 exit and publix. I never go by the second forgot all about it.

ORCA Forum Member
    Can't edit my post yet. Mostly Rock, Yes from what i see I would agree and i really would like to attend. What is your Occupation? If you don't mind saying =) Haha I hope you get some nice frags and just get to have a blast while there. I will try to see if a Technician can take my place but i won't put too much into that we are short handed as it is. Without my job i wouldn't be able to have this hobby.

Just got a confirmation my new 28g HQI tank shipped out today. they are not even going to wait till i return my 24g they sent me wrong. so that's a plus.

ORCA Forum Member
    Ohh I live a block away from the other end. Over by the park.

ORCA Forum Member
    I'm a Service Plumber. My occupation has certainly made this hobby easier and more affordable, Plumbing a tank is a breeze but my job doesn't pay as well as I thought it was going to 20 years ago. Someday I'd like to do something that I love for a living, instead of something I'm good at but not really excited about. I hope to meet you @ the meeting Sat!

Welcome Whitedog2185, there are a lot of unknown reef hobbist in the Deltona, Debary area. Glad to see you here. ORCA is great place to connect with people that share your same passion.

ORCA Forum Member
    Aqualove182, Thanks i'm glad to see that there is more reef addicts in the area, was feeling lonely. Thanks for the welcome

Mostly Rock, Yeah i wish i knew plumbing would help alot but since i get to work with animals which i love is awesome so i''ll take it.Also agree that my job doesn't pay was well as some people think at least money wise but knowing i get to save people's babies (aka pets) lives makes me happy every day. My new tank should be here monday then i will switch all of my stuff out of my bowfront tank over. Will make a journal starting when i get it. Can't wait. Still going to try to make it down tommorow.

ORCA Forum Member
    I live near the Normandy/Saxon intersection too. Near the golf course.
    -Sara