Thread: Harlequin food?

ORCA Forum Member

Harlequin food?

I hired a harlequin 1) to help deal with the huge asternia population in my tank and 2) because, dang it, they are really, really cool looking.

It turns out that either this harlequin is exceptionally good at its job, or that I am not as good of an asternia farmer as I thought I was, or both because the asternia are almost all gone now.

I'd like to keep the harlequin on as a full time employee, but would like to switch to a less troublesome food supply for it. What kinds of safe-ish stars do other harlequin owners keep for food?

ORCA Forum Member
    you need to buy star fish for it. A lot of people get chocolate chip star fish for them. I had one for a while and tried the freezing a starfish and feeding it in pieces but the Harlequin didn't seem to like it after it was two weeks old. I know sea in the city had a standing order every few weeks for chocolate chip starfish for someone to feed there harlequin so maybe you can have them order you some as well.

ORCA Forum Member
    Can't chocolate chip stars be cut in half with a diamond blade and they will regrow?

I have chocolate chips and cut off a leg about every 6 weeks to suplament... The CC stars regrow the legs....Mac
    As with most clubs:
    There are always a few people willing to do all the work and a bunch willing to let them....
    No trick to be part of the clique...Simply get involved...Every little bit helps
    If only in the clean up after the meeting.

ORCA Forum Member
    I read that you should try different starfish to vary its diet... I love the harlequin...