Thread: To much rock?

ORCA Forum Member

To much rock?

Ok so I am looking at my 125 FOWLR. I think there is way to much rock in it. In my reef I have two islands with plenty of space for corals to grow. But the fish only system just looks like it has way to much to rock in it. There are plenty of places for fish to hide and swim though but there are so many some times I don't see some of the fish. With fish only systems do most people have a lot of rock, medium amount, or little?

I will admit I have been slacking on this tank but I am now starting to get nice fish for it so I want it to look better.

IMO, I would keep it like that. Your fish will probably like it more.
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125

ORCA Forum Member
    Well i'm still pretty new as you know, but for fish only i would probably say a little less rock for the reason you say. Being able to see the awesome fish you put in. I'm sure they would enjoy all the rock but as a medium for both i would say little less. IMO just putting in my two cents if it helps at all.

ORCA Forum Member
    The amount of rock you have is fine, however the kind of rock you have is big and solid. The big pieces of rock make great base pieces but you may want to consider replacing those boulder like rocks sitting on top of the base rock with some lava rock or a different kind of rock that has more pores and more little nooks for them to swim around. Fish like to have sections of rock to swim around and hide in when they are scared and or at night. I played around a ton with my rocks and still do almost every-time I clean and do a water change. You can almost never have TOO much rock fyi. The only danger is adding a TON of new rock to a new tank causing it to re-cycle and potentially poisoning your tank in the process.

ORCA Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordaulf View Post
    The amount of rock you have is fine, however the kind of rock you have is big and solid.
    This. To my eye, it looks like you used all large pieces. I think some size variation would make the arrangement appear less dense.

ORCA Forum Member
    +1 on what Iggy said

ORCA Forum Member
    It might be time for the hammer to come out!

ORCA Forum Member
    I like it. Remember, the more your fish can hide, the less stressed they will be. Eventually, they will come out to see YOU!

ORCA Forum Member sunshinereefer's Avatar
    I does look like a little bit more rock.. Try islands if you like them..you can easily make 3 with the amount of rock you have. Sometimes its not just the amount of rock..its just how you scape it. Agree with Iggy-May be you need to use different sizes and it would not look too much.
    Regards
    Prashant Chopde

ORCA Forum Member
    I think I am gonna do a big island in the middle and two smaller ones on the side. I don't have to worry about corals so I am thinking the middle island is gonna be kinda tall. It will help break up the flow from the return and the powerhead. Basically three islands in a triangle shape....

ORCA Forum Member
    I think breaking it up and making smaller islands would be a great idea, but I also would try and keep as much rock in the tank as possible even if that means putting it in a fuge or something. The rock as we all know is a great filter so might as well keep it if you can.

ORCA Forum Member
    Yeah I will try and not get rid of any of the rock. It will all still be in the system some how.

ORCA Forum Member
    You can drill the rock and use rods to put it together. We did that for our 150 gallon.

Don't know if you recognize the middle arch, but that's in my dad's tank now. Looks much better after it's been covered in coralline.
    -Sara

ORCA Forum Member
    Di you end up breaking it up? Any new pics of what you did?

ORCA Forum Member
    I haven't had the time to tear it apart yet. I will post pics when I actually am able to get my hands wet...