Thread: Aiptasia: chemistry teacher method of removal

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

Aiptasia: chemistry teacher method of removal

I posted this on RC and received replies that didn't answer the question. Some of the live rock that was given to me came with some Aiptasia. I was warned about it and told that I will need to take care of it. I have heard all the different ways from Joe's Juice to lemon juice, but since I have chemicals available to me why can't I just take the live rock out of the tank and place the end with the Aiptasia in freshwater for a couple of hours? Or why can't I stick the end of the rock in either hydrochloric acid, sulfuric acid, or go the other extreme of the pH scale and use sodium hydroxide? The lemon juice is an acid, but these others are much stronger. I am looking for an easy was out, if that is possible.

Thanks to all of you have offered to help set up the tank once the contractors have finished supplying water to the RO/DI and patching the wall.

ok why nuke the rock to kill something that can be killed with natural predators??

ORCA Forum Member
    Coach - I've used 2M NaOH to kill Aptasia in my aquarium. Here's the article I followed Aptasia - A method of control I've also tried injecting all manner of weak acids/base from vinegar to kalk. The NaOH was VERY effective at killing Aptasia instantly and worked well on all sizes. The other methods didn't work for me because they all left the foot which after some weeks recovered. The NaOH application was difficult to apply to some Aptasia hidden in small crevices or underneath the rocks. On a lark, I tried peppermint shrimp from a LFS. The Lye was a joke in comparison to a couple of small shrimp. If you do try the NaOH method make sure that you watch the pH and Alk as it can really wreak havoc.

Exclamation

The best thing that worked for me was lemon juice. Get a shringe and draw in the lemon juice. Stick it in the stalk of the aptasia and inject some into it. It will kill it. You will notice it shrink up immediately. Don't do to much at one time as the Lemon Juice is bad in high doses. I went to a local drug store and bought a couple shringes maybe 25cents each. Lemon juice at any local grocery store. EASIEST way
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125

ORCA Forum Member
    I agree with philip. I did that and I also heard hot water was good to so boiled the lemon juice in the microwave and stuck it in the aiptasia. Hope this helps

A "easy way out" is to just put the rocks in fresh water. Lease it in for 1 1/2 hours. Like a fresh water dip just 1hour and 20mins longer. This will not kill your coraline and it will kill the aiptasia. Hot water will kill coraline if used as a dip in this manner. This way you dont have to use any toxic chemicals.

ORCA Forum Member sunshinereefer's Avatar
    For me lemon juice worked better Kalk. Have not tried the hot lemon juice recipe. The hot water option did not work for me. Also I think it is important to note that where you stick the anemone is more important as what you use. If you are not able to get the center (mouth), there is more chance of failure. I have been fighting with one, in a hidden spot very close to my sand bed- 3 failed attempts till now, every time I think I succeeded - 2 days later it back in the same spot.
    Regards
    Prashant Chopde

ORCA Forum Member
    Get some super glue and when you pull the rock out of the water the aptasia will shrink down. Cover each one generously so that when the glue dries it suffocates the aptasia. Then if you want do a quick dip in seperate water to remove any spores that may have been released during the process to prevent future breakouts. I did this to 4 different rocks about 2 years ago and have no trace left. Plus it's reef safe

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

Thanks.

I used crazy glue too....worked for me too.....awhile later and voila....coralline!!!!
    2009, 2010*and 2011 ORCA Mentoring Director. Proud to serve on the Board of Directors.
    (and I have no idea where the asterisk is coming from....)