Thread: Sageblade's 75 Lagoon/Reef Build

ORCA Forum Member

Sageblade's 75 Lagoon/Reef Build

So as very few of you may already know, I am starting a half lagoon and half drop off tank in the very near future. This build struck my curiosity when I saw Bird's 20L half and half and since then I have been talking to him and others along with my LFS about builder in a somewhat larger scale.

Of course the blank slate will be an AGA 75 gallon which is 48"x18"x20"
    I picked a 75 because I like the height and I wanted a deeper tank so that I can place a lot of different things inside since the top of the tank is only going to be 48" off the floor.

Stand was custom made by a friend with 4x4s for main support. I purchased custom glass for this project as well which is 3/8 thick and I have 4 pieces.
    - The vertical piece will be the dropoff which is placed about 17" from the right of the tank. It is 13" tall.
    - The horizontal piece has a 5x5 inch cutout on the back right for an overflow and is 17" long.
    - The other two pieces are small and are to build up the overflow so that the waterlevel reaches just under the lip of the plastic frame.

I plan on filling the overflow spot with a media rack made out of lexan that will also have room for cords to the pump sump light and heater.

For livestock I plan on keeping a pair of clowns, 50 lbs or more of live rock, anenome, maybe a pair of pipefish, many soft corals, a few acros, it will also contain many macros and a clam bed, and a few more things I have not decided on.

I hope this tank will be a learning experience for me and others and If it turns out well I might rebuild in an even bigger size.
    Zoa Collector, Creative Reefer

ORCA Forum Member
    Well I just siliconed all the glass in (messy but I think I completed the job). I am going to wait a week before trying to fill with water just to be safe. After that I have to build a rig for the overflow to buffer noise and then I will start the cycle.

For lighting I am picking up a 6 bulb tek elite. Currently I have the legs for it but later on I may want to mount the whole fixture because I want the tank to be more of a look down into than a side view.

p.s. Looking at it now, I wish I had made the lagoon portion longer, maybe half and half, but I wanted more room for a possible tang so o well, you can't have everything.

sounds cool!

ORCA Forum Member
    Gonna look killer when all setup man. Can't wait.

ORCA Forum Member
    And the cycle has begun...
    I got 50 lbs of rock coming from marco and a few rocks from the LFS.
    60 lbs of total sand I think should do it, I am so excited to get this thing going.

ORCA Forum Member
    I was just curious, what lighting were you thinking of using ? I think I need an upgrade and I'm going for a very similar setup to yours..same size tank and all...

currently using Aquatic Life T5 HO 4 bulbs (2-10k and 2-antic 54w each)

murff81
    <div>Thanks
    Murff81
    </div>

ORCA Forum Member
    N/m

I re-read your previous posts again

Have any new pics ? I'm curious to see your progress...
    <div>Thanks
    Murff81
    </div>