Thread: Lake Mary Marine Science Research Aquarium

ORCA Forum Member

Lake Mary Marine Science Research Aquarium

I have great news. Lake Mary High School has been awarded a grant from The Foundation to setup a saltwater aquarium system to be used in Marine Science. I will share the following letter that I have sent out to various vendors. Aquatic Ecosystems has helped lead the way on the donation front. The University of Miami Marine Science program is helping to design curriculum.

I would like all of you to partake in this project in any way or shape. This includes, donations(coral, fish, equipment, etc.), help in setting up of system and construction, or just watching the YouTube videos made by the LMHS students as they set up the system. So far Aquatic Ecosystems, Bottle Ocean, and MarcoRock have jumped on board. We are still looking for a tank to host the system, a protein skimmer, RO/DI filter, a some other minor pieces. If you have any leads please inform me? Also, you are all experts in this hobby, any ideas, suggestions for setup or curriculum would greatly be appreciated. I have a power point outlining the project and a diagram of the system but was unable to upload. Feel free to contact me with any information at bryan_corkins@scps.k12.fl.us

Thank you

Lake Mary High School has been awarded around $1500 from The Foundation (www.foundationscps.org)to implement a touch tank and salt water aquarium for use in LMHS Marine Marine Science Classes. The grant committee suggested we reach out and establish a partnership in the business community. Deep Blue Professional is a great fit for this partnership.

The project includes two major goals. Goal 1 is to construct, setup, and maintain an in class model of an ocean ecosystem. Goal 2 is to establish a working marine science lab similar to those found at the University of Miami, Florida, South Florida, etc. The laboratory will be a much smaller and simplified version. However, the method of laboratory investigation will be much similar. I have already reached out and received some resources/material for use once the system is up and running.

The system will include one display tank (75 gallon), one refugium mangrove tank (55 gallon), a large touch tank (100-150 gallons) that will hold basic coral, invertebrates, and a few fish. Also a protein skimmer, lighting, and pumping systems linking all tanks together. The idea, is to show how all aspects of tank work as a miniature ecosystem. Example, refugium and mangroves act as nutrient transport, protein skimmer act as wave action, lighting mimic that of the equator, etc. None of the systems components will be hidden as in at home or office aquariums. Students need to see all aspect from filtration, feeding, lighting, pumping, etc.

The system will also include a computer that has software (www.aquariumlab.com) to help monitor the aquarium and give usable data that students can utilize in experiments. In addition, other lab equipment will be utilized to perform experiments. This includes basic glassware, and smaller tanks that can be stand alone system to test things such as how light effects coral growth, etc.

As you probably know you can spend $500-$50,000 on such a system depending on type of organisms, amount, diversity, etc. We only have $1500 to construct this system. I will include a basic list of items needed for the entire system. I will also note with * the items we already have on hand. Any help or guidance Aqua C can provide would be greatly appreciated. This will include, suggestions on systems setup, type of skimmer and filtration. In addition, any donated, or discounted equipment would greatly be appreciated. A plaque will adorn the system advertising all companies, and individuals that helped to construct the system.

Lake Mary students will construct the project step by step with foresight from me. In addition, we will document everything with pictures and video on a you tube channel pending administrative approval. We can certainly showcase your company in the videos as a helpful sponsor of the program.

List of materials for LMHS saltwater aquarium system. * denotes on hand material.

Tanks (approx. total gallons = 280 gallons)
    1. 75 gallon display tank (33.5" x 13"x26.5")*
    2. 55 gallon mangrove tank (48"x12"x21")*
    3. 100-150 gallon touch tank (approx. 72"x 24" x 16")
    4. Protein Skimmer (to handle 300 gallons)
    5. Lighting system (basic t5 or equivalent for all 3 tanks)*one on hand
    6. Pumps (6 for in tank (2*)) (large to pump entire system)
    7. Live rock and live sand (approx. 500 lbs sand 200 lbs of live rock)
    8. Water filter for water changes
    9. large plastic covered trash cans for saltwater storage
    10. Various pipes, bulkheads, etc. for water circulation
    11. invertebrates, coral, and fish (all resilient, inexpensive, and easy to care for)
    12. stand construction for entire system. (retro fit of back lab counter)

Macro Rock is supplying all live rock, sand, and beneficial bacteria for free.
    Aquatic Ecosystems, is providing, light systems, bulkheads, and other aspects.
    Bottled Ocean Inc. is providing planning and guidance.
    Ocean Direct is supplying a discount for all live organism.

A protein skimmer and the tank itself are the two major hurdles left in the project. I have access to $200-$400 each year in consumable funds. This will cover, salt, additives, food, and additional organisms.

The Foundation grant has given us around $1500 for the project. I am trying to stretch this out from support in donations, discounts, etc. I am looking a purchasing 2 of your 60 gallon reef ready tanks. The LFS Ocean Direct of Orlando Florida has quoted them at around $265 each. Is there anyway you could discount or donate these tanks?

Thank you.

Bryan Corkins
    Lake Mary High School
    Earth Science Teacher
    Head Boys Cross Country Coach
    407-320-9770

OREO Club Member
    OREO Vice-President
    ORCA Forum Member

Glad to hear that you secured the grant! $1500 can be spent very quickly. If I can be of any help, let me know. Remember as with any aquarium, take it slow. Make sure you get your bacteria well established. MarcoRock is great. It has been 11 months since we started our aquarium and I doubt you can tell what was originally live rock and what is MarcoRock. Good luck.

I will donate some coral for you once it has been up for a while. Keep us updated and put a thread on the build up here. Become a O-r-c-a member and get even better benefits.
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125

The school's program may also be eligible for a Grant/further funding through "Touch Tanks for Kids".

Application: http://www.touch-tank.com/grant-information/

ORCA/OREO Club Sponsor
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member

I would recommend talking to Coach (David) about the ins and outs that he has learned about with his tank. Also Katrin Rudge of Riverview High School in Sarasota is starting a 500 and a 700 gal systems. If you do any Atlantic coral and get a permit contact Bill Hoffman of the Smithsonian in Fort Pierce. He has Acropora cervicornus that you can get anytime of the year from him. For a good Sea World contact you can get with Justin Zimmerman. I will pm you with some contact info for these people and some others. I also will donate Oceans Blend products and some time for the tank. Keep us updated.