Thread: LED light fixture

ORCA Forum Member

LED light fixture

I am looking for a LED light fixture to replace my current metal halide as it produces too much heat and is cooking my 24 gallon tank and it doesn't really offer the pop in color that i'm looking for. If the heat wasn't an issue then i'd just ad some actinic strips to my current setup.

I am on a budget so if someone could point me in the direction of a nice fixture for a 24 gallon tank that would offer a nice pop in coral color as well as nice growth I would greatly appreciate it. Also if anyone on here builds their own fixtures or knows someone who does I would be open to hearing what you could build and would obviously pay fair market value for it.

Eventually I will also need a fixture for a 75 gallon tank whether it is one long or two smaller it doesn't make a difference.

ORCA Forum Member
    Not sure if you're looking for a new or used fixture but if you're in the market for a used LED panel, I just broke down my frag tank and have a 120W (55 - 2W BridgeLux LEDs) 'Chinese Black Box' panel that I wouldn't mind selling. I used it over a small tank with great results. PM me if you're interested.

Price your looking for? I may be interested as well.
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125

ORCA Forum Member
    The store near where I work has/had an LED panel. I'll stop in tomorrow to see if it is still there and get a price.

From my experience building panels, you don't really save a lot of money but the quality goes through the roof. The heat sinks for DIYers are superior to those in the Chinese lights. Some of my builds in fact run without cooling fans. The wave lengths of the LEDs have greatly improved too. It is now possible to cover the entire chlorophyl A & B zones of spectrum, but the Chinese lights and even many of the best of the USA lights are still single blue wave lengths (plus white).