Thread: Seminole County water quality

ORCA Forum Member

Seminole County water quality

So I am in the process of establishing a new reef tank, but I have a few questions. First off the water here tastes awful so I clearly need to find an appropriate RODI unit that would be useful for this municipal water. Where I came from in NC I was on a well and the water was impeccable for my reef believe it or not. So the question I have for the group is what RODI unit do you use and why that model or type? Thank you in advance.
    Jim

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    AQUA FX is one of our sponsors and they are located not too far from Longwood.
    They should be able to answer all of your questions even if you don't buy from them, give them a call 877-256-3467.

And they are also close to Top Shelf Aquatics, another of our LFS, they also carry AQUA FX products and they just expanded their store and looks great.
    Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2017

My 210g Journal

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

Spectra pure modified auto flush 4 stage. And i use there max cap system. Love it. Actually have two to be honest. I have chlorine/ ozone treated city water coming in at 150 tds and at about 63 psi. Pull up your local water company and they have a state mandatory link to there filtration methods n statistics on there site to find out if you need to run a chlorimine type rodi or a regular RODI system. I'll second Aqua Fx is great as well and local.
    Four individual systems Right now.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.
    A 200 gallon MARS quarintine with UV system/ medication for new arrivals.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!

ORCA Forum Member
    Thank you for the recommendations, could you please explain how or why an auto flush is beneficial?

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

The membrane on the system can accumulate certain deposits on it that decrease performance. Some of these deposits can be flushed away by periodically increasing the flow over the waste side of the membrane. Usual this is done manually by the user before start up and just before shut down for storage. With an auto flush a timer flushes it automatically.

Ill make a note some people think its minimally useful.
    some think its useless
    some swear by it

All my systems have a auto flush of some sort. And i typically like to make alot of water at once then shut it down and store it for several weeks - months before running it again. and i always get the expected life out of my consumables.

I think the single most important part of getting into reefing is quality water to start with, and that means that you get the best membrane possible and take good care of it to get the most out of your system for the least in the long run. I really like the auto flush spectra pure system's and there "max cap" di method.

I always know i have perfect water to start with for my systems and it only goes down hill from there.
    Four individual systems Right now.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.
    A 200 gallon MARS quarintine with UV system/ medication for new arrivals.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!