Thread: ATO sale (auto top off)

Exclamation ATO sale (auto top off)

Marinedepot is having a sale on ato's today only.

Thought I would share.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquari...eid=f2542338b5
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125

Not bad.

I would suggest adding some fool proofing to it though or using a simple method I have.
    Small pump that goes on for say 15 mins 3-4 times a day connected through water line tubing to a float valve from ebay.
    Once water level is high enough float valve will not let any more water in even though the pump might be still running.

In the least just add the float valve to the end of the water line, that way if float switch gets stuck in on position (which it eventually will you will not overflow your sump.

Most use two sensors now for failsafe.

But not a bad idea that you mentioned.
    014-16 Web Admin/Secretary, 2013 Merchandise Coordinator/Web Admin, 2012 Public Relations/Merchandise Coordinator

Name: Phil
    Years Exp: 13 years
    My In-Wall 125

Yep, I like things simple and hard to break

You can even do it without a pump and timer. When I had a discus tank setup, my top off container was upstairs so the system was gravity fed. Any time water level dropped a bit, water would trickle in.

So if you can place top off container at a higher level than the sump, all you really need is the float valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Yep, I like things simple and hard to break

You can even do it without a pump and timer. When I had a discus tank setup, my top off container was upstairs so the system was gravity fed. Any time water level dropped a bit, water would trickle in.

So if you can place top off container at a higher level than the sump, all you really need is the float valve.
    that is exactly what i do, and my top off tank is only 7 gallons so if it the float valve goes bad, the amount of water wont kill all my live stock for salinity levels
    55 Gl. non drilled, Mix reef, HOB protein skimmer, BRS bio Pellets reactor, 180W led.
    29 Gl. Biocube stock Mix reef
    75 Gl. Rimless drilled, Vertex IN250 protein skimmer, BRS Biopellet reactor in serie with carbon reactor, return Eheim 1262, 180 watts LED, 3 pump doser for A-B, strontium and magnesium
    Reef keeper eliteV2 Controler
    and feeding like crazy, no more low nutrients, yes to a high nutrients and explosive growth

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    OREO Membership Director
    ORCA Forum Member

I'll add what i saw once was a RODI unit connected to a float valve/ auto shut high pressure cutoff switch in a 5 gallon bucket under the stand that held rodi reserve water. this was then called for on demand from the sump float switch was driven by a regular ATM top off. A small pump was in the bucket. the bucket had a hole about 3/4 the way up and the pump was mounted about 1/4 way up the bucket on a little stand.. If the float switch failed on the ATO, and called for more n more water, the pump went dry in the bucket. when the float switch goes down on the bucket it calls for the rodi to come on and make more water at 25 gallons per day.. if the rodi fails to shut off the extra top off goes to a drain line. If the tank/ system water over fills in the sump it too goes to the drain line.. If you check your tank every few days this is almost fail proof.. and you could put a timer on it was well for further safety for vacations.. this tank has ran for 9 yrs this way.. all that has ever happened was the float on the ATO in the sump got curdy and stuck either down or up and it either ran low on water n blew bubbles i the tank, or the 2 gallons/ then 25 gallons max per day/ of ATO pumped into the system and lowered the salinity a tiny bit over the next few days as it was diluting the full system salinity day by day got to about 33PM as your heard the little pump running dry in the bucket you knew something was up… Trick here would be to plumb in a simple night n day timer and a refrigerator electric ice maker water valve small solenoid looking thing with 1/4 lines both sides n two wires, on the Line to feed the RODI and have it run once a day for 1 hour to increase life on the cartages and even further reduce the possible dilution to 2 gallons a day max.

It was also very contained and clean looking all inside the bucket…just the ATO and the rodi are next to it and the few lines…

This was a simple clean ATO system using a 5 gallon bucket. done by marcy at sea in the city yrs n yrs ago.. only issue i had here is it short cycles the RODI system and causes a short life on the cartridges i think..
    Four individual systems Right now.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 softies set up.
    550 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, 3 50 gallon attached SPS frag systems lite with a combination of HM and LED and T5 fixtures.
    A 200 gallon MARS quarintine with UV system/ medication for new arrivals.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!